INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: BEAR Razorhead questions......  (Read 620 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
BEAR Razorhead questions......
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Not to be too dumb here but I am in the process of sharpening up some Bear Razorheads and have a few questions:

When using the bleeders what is the best way to mount these? I am sharpening up some right now and in putting them on the shafts I can't quite noodle through how to get them on a full tapered shaft with the bleeders installed.

Do you use a "shorter" taper on the shaft?
Do you cut some sort of slot in the shaft?

Guys any help would be greatly appreciated as I would very much like to mount these on some Bear arrows and take these with me this season.

Thanks for your help.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BEAR Razorhead questions......
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
John,
Uninstall the bleeders first, install the heads on the shafts and then use the spring steel tool that comes with the bleeders to open up the slot clearing out a little wood to allow you to mount the bleeders again.  That is providing you are using wood shafts.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Do I force the tool through the wood taper or do I make the taper smaller to begin with?

yes, wood shafts.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
I would cut off enough of the taper so the bleeder blade clears the end.  The slot cleaning tool is to clean out glue residue...not wood.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
What Jack said.  Grant

Offline cornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Either way works.A copeing saw works good to cut the slot if you go that route but remember grain orientation when you do.Otherwise just cut or grind the taper short.I've taken hundred of those heads off of old arrows and have seen both.Seems like the older ones had the slot and the ones from the 60-70's where cut short.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
You guys are the BEST!! Thanks for helping me out.  John

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I could imagine that a slot, if not to wide, would secure the bleeder blade a little. The bleeder blades can rattle and make noise when in a bow quiver. I just got a 4 arrow quiver and got a buzzing sound when I first shot an arrow and realized it was the bleeder blades. They wont fall off, they just rattle. I put a drop of glue and fixed my problem.

Simon

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
I use my wife's finger nail polish to stop the rattle.  Dab a bit were the bleeder and ferrel meet.  Bhill

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
The bleeder can be pulled back into the slot with pliers, or pushed into a scrap of wood. In any event the back of the ferrule has a slot on both sides for the bleeder and a tighter fit.

If you use wood shafts, and mount your nocks, perpendicular to the grain in the wood (wood grain is then horizontal) when the arrow is nocked and your heads are vertical, the bleeder & slot is then in the same direction as the grain. It is then easier to clean the slot with the tool. Best to do this work on dull heads or be careful. I suggest using pliers to install or remove the bleeder.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Hmmmm...

Guys. I've never had an auxillary blade rattle when it is seated down all the way and installed correctly.  They are actually pretty snug on the side of the ferrule and kinda snap into the the little notches.

Make sure you're getting them down far enough by cleaning the bottom of the broadhead slot, and either removing enough off of the end of the shaft or cutting a long enough slot in the end of the shaft.

One issue you'll have with a 4 arrow leathertop quiver and Bear Razorheads is space.  The arrows have to be positioned precisely to keep the auxillary blades from touching another broadhead or the quiver's metal hood.  Both cause ugly noises.  They will fit if they are all turned just right.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I used to have the opposite problem that the bleeders fit so tightly they warped a little.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©