INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: flemish string length  (Read 493 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
flemish string length
« on: September 16, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
I just wanted to confirm my flemish string length for my 64", '59 Kodiak. Should the string length be 61"?
Thanks
bryce olson

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: flemish string length
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Bryce- 60" is the factory length string according to AMO standards. The flemish is going to stretch a bit and require some twisting to tweak it up anyway. Sorry I dropped the ball on the string- I managed to break my jig just when I really needed it.               Grant

Offline TimberlineX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
I like Grants suggestion. I typically go with 4 inches shorter for a recurve bow and 3 inches shorter for a longbow, and then twist up or down to get the brace height that shoots the best.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
AMO standards weren't adopted until Feb 1968 and state that a bow's length is determined by measureing the string that braces it correctly (measured under tension) and adding 3". So a 64" bow should use a 61" string. The '59 Kodiak is pre-AMO standards though and the two 64" Kodiaks I've shot were both slightly different lengths, despite both being marked 64".  Come to think of it, all three of my 1959 64" Bears need different length strings (Kodiak, KSpecial and Polar).

I'll measure my Kodiak's string when I get home tonight.  That should give youa good starting point.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Oops.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Just measured the string.

My 64" '59 Kodiak has a 60.75" string (measured under tension) and is braced at 7.5" (recommended brace of 6.75 to 7.75")

My 64" '59 KSpecial a 60.5" string and braced at 7.75 (recommended 7-8")

One of my 64" '59 Polars has a 61" string and is braced at 7.75 (recommended 7-8")

Find out if whoever is making your string pre-stretches them and if they measure the strings under tension.  It makes a big difference with dacron.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Bryce,   Keep a look out in your mailbox   :archer:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Making strings for  Kodiaks is a Pain in the A$$$$$$.    :)  

They are all different and like Jeremy said even 60" or 64" model bows from the same year can require different length strings.  

Gotta love em, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
Keefer,I got your package! Thank you sir. I am so anxious to take the '59 on my hunt. I will be sending it off to have the tips redone soon, I am debating about leaving the leather grip on or off, any thoughts?
bryce olson

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Bryce,  I'm glad they made it...As for the leather I like them on the 59 and if it's not that bad I would leave it on...BowDoc had a post here I believe on making your own and I've made a few for recurves and longbows and it isn't that hard to do...I made one for my 59 K special and some folks might frown about that but it can be removed very easily...I used Barge cement and laced it...If the Doc is adding those new tips on I know he can make that leather look original if it needs replacing... God Bless, Keefer's <")))><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©