INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: new leather  (Read 373 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
new leather
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
I need to get new leather on my '59 Kodiak as it is slowly peeling off on my hand each time I shoot it. I'm guessing it is because the leather is 50 yrs old, just curious if new leather will do the same thing and replacing leather is something one does with these bows every few years if you shoot them alot?
bryce olson

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new leather
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
I had to replace the leather on an old Polar I got.  The old one fell apart because of age and storage issues (and maybe acidic hands-we have some people at work who consistently wear the letters off their keyboards, and they don't use them any more than others).

I don't think that new leather will do the same thing until it is also very old-this one hasn't.

RonP

Polar grip

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
It depends on several factors, Bryce. I've seen '59s and 60s with leather grips that were original and looked and felt almst new; I've seen others that had turned to paper almost because of palm sweat and lack of attention. You can replace the leather yourself. You may also be able to find the material through one of the builders who make quality reproductions like Ed Holcomb or Randy Dehnel. Do a search here; I believe there is at least one tutorial on applying leather grips on these bows. Personally, I removed the leather from the grips of bows I intend to hunt with but there is no question it looks great and to many, feels really good. But, you know how weird I am, lol.     Grant

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Hey Bryce-If you do replace the leather,it should last another 50 years.I agree with the others on this one,possible sweaty hands and acidity as well as not being cared for properly.I've got some 1959 and 1960 Kodiaks where the leather looks like it was put on yesterday.Looks like brand new,and I've seen others terribly cracked,dry-rotted,and stained.
 Grant-Weird? Not you.You're as normal as Bowdoc.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
:eek:  Thanks, John- I feel better now, lol.  GY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©