INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Questions for the Bear experts  (Read 389 times)

Offline Gdance

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions for the Bear experts
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Someone please fill me in on the topic of sights.  On that popular aution site, I often see bows, usually 70's bows, with sights on them.  Were these factory sights?  If so on what models and years?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions for the Bear experts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Most were aftermarket and they drilled the bows to install them with screws.  I'm talking hunting bows.  Some target bows came with integrated sights like the Tamerlane.  Some Bear hunting bows had the integrated sight installed in the sight window also.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions for the Bear experts
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Most bows from that era that were target recurves could be ordered with sights. Most of your hunting bows from that era that have sights are after market sights. In some cases they were taped on and in some case the were screwed on. I have seen both. Usually you can remove them and if they were installed with small screws the holes can be filled and still look good. Sometimes the screws will crack the fiberglass if they were installed on the front or back of the limbs themselves. A lot of good vintage hunting bows have been wrecked cosmeticly because of sight mounting years ago. That is what makes a hole free vintage bow so much more desireable. I have seen sights mounted on very collectable vintage bows that actually cracked the wood in the riser. There is always Bowdoc and Rich that can make these look nice again. After they work there magic you can hardly tell a sight was screwed on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©