INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 59 Alaskan X2  (Read 438 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
59 Alaskan X2
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
I picked up another Alaskan off the auction site. There is something that really draws me to this particular model, maybe the orange belly glass, maybe that I was born in Alaska (the territory before statehood) or maybe its just the great shooting qualities. These bows were "semi recurves" in their day - now we would call them the "recently invented" reflex deflex longbow.

The first one I got a while back and have taken game with it. But, I put it on my scale and it pulls 41 of its 44 rated pounds - just on the light end of all around hunting weight. So when I saw this rated 46 pounder I had to jump. About a C note to my door. It weighs in at 47# @ 28".

It likes slightly stiffer spined arrow and shoots just likes its sister. Both have TS-1+ strings (don't tell the collectors) and my longbow shooting style meshes just right with them. Look out critters!

The new one is a little better preserved than the first one. It has a mysterious "E" after the serial number. Any info on what that means?

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59 Alaskan X2
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Real nice...I just got a '60 that I need to expend some TLC on....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
That's very cool Shaun!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
cool,good luck with her this season.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Now there's a pair to "draw" too.

Nice looking bows Shaun.  Is the grip on the 46#er smaller than the 44#?  It appears to be sleeker just like the 59 Kodiaks.

I doubt it will be long untill there are some crimson streaks on one or both of them.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Nice!  I had a nice 50# '59 Alaskan.  Very nice shooting bow.
(those old girls are completely different when you put a low-stretch string on 'em, aren't they? shh!)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I too really like the Alaskans. I have quite a few and I also like the looks and the shooting.

I also just gave one away to a young kid who expressed an interest. Dual shelf and low poundage....can't go wrong!!

Glad I am not the only one who likes them.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Nice double setup there! Makes we want to break out mine and shoot it tomorrow.  Hmmmm, come to think of it maybe I will.

Did you put a notch on the first one for the turkey?

Bernie

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
And the songdog?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Yeah 4runr, I forgot about the coyote...since he's breakin' in another one he's going to have to call the first one 'Two Notches'.

And thanks Shaun, I haven't pulled that '59 Alaskan out for months because the last time I shot it I just couldn't get it.  But now after weeks of working with the '59 Griz, which has about the same grip configuration, I brought the Alaskan out this morning and had a great time with her.

Decent groups, longbow quiet.  You're right, great bow! Thanks again for jarring my memory to pull 'er out today.

Raineman, might as well start gathering the orange and black bundle for my new string!

Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©