INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Tex Stone  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
Tex Stone
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
He popped up a couple times in ABR but disappeared.  He apparently took a jaguar and some other critters in Mexico.  I've been working a cold trail on this dude for a long time.  Can anyone help me out?

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tex Stone
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Like you, I have come across him on several occasions.  When I saw your question, I recalled that I had just seen a photo of him in one of my scrapbooks.  I don't know the origin of the article in which the photo appears, but the photo shows him with a jaguar he killed in Mexico.  The caption to the photo notes: "Charles 'Tex' Stone hunts with the bow and arrow for sport.  He poses above with a 265 pound jaguar which he killed in Mexico and for which he collected a $250 reward."  I will keep looking and see if I can come up with anything else.

This scrapbook apparently was put together by a "Hoosier".  Also included is an article depicting a memorial honoring the author of 'Alice of Old Vincennes' at Brookville, Ind.  The bronze tablet states: "This Memorial Marks the Birthplace of James Maurice Thompson,Indiana Author, 1844 - 1901, Erected by the Fairfield Garden Club, 1937".

The scrapbook also contains an article by Howard Hill [Famous archer and formerly holder of world's flight record] that depicts an "Amazing New Flight Bow that Pulls instead of Pushes the Arrow."  A bow is shown that is equipped with three springs in the front of the bow to assist in propelling the arrow.  

Hill terms it a "double action" bow and a "front-wheel-drive arrow of new design".  He notes that the best type of yew flight bow of ten pounds produces a distance of 60 yds. while the new design bow of the same draw weight produces a distance of 160 yds.  At thirty pounds, the conventional flight bow casts an arrow 209 yds. while the new design casts an arrow some 328 yds.  

For a 65 pound conventional flight bow, the distance is 304 yds. -- the point being is that the newly designed 30 pound flight bow produced a distance of 328 yds. which exceeded
that of the conventional 65 lb. flight bow.  Interesting article.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
I have a couple of articles on Tex Stone that came directly from the scrap book of Willis Barns.Bow maker from Southern Michigan.(Sturgis)I will post them in a little while.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Dan Brennan & Tex Stone hunted togeather & they both used Willis Barn archery equipment.Here are some pics.In the Pope Hall picture Willis Barns is the little guy in the front row.Middle--Multi colored grip on his bow....

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
"Amazing New Flight Bow" by Hill is from the June 1937 Popular Science Monthly.

"Tex Stone - Explorer and Archer" by Dupree is from the January 1938 Sports Afield.

The two American Bowman Review mentions of Stone are from the August and December 1937 issues.

I didn't know of the Barnes connection.

Who's Pope Hall named after?  It isn't the obvious.   :)

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
So what happeded to Mr. Stone, where is he burried. Is there any way I could get copies of those articles?
Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
PM me your adderess & I'll see if I can get the wife to take them to work & make copies.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Rick I recieved the articles yesterday,thank you very much. I would love to know more about Mr Stone are there any other articles any of you know of?

Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Thats about all I had.Glad you like them.Rick...

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Lucas Kent

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
Lucas Kent

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 06:16:00 PM »
You getting good Lucas.   :)   Keep digging, there are more.

The only archer other than Fred Bear I know of who claimed a tiger with a bow, and the only with a pre-fiberglass bow.

Interesting that he had a cameraman and native killed by lions while hunting in Africa.

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I found two others in Utah newspapers from the thirties but the site that is hosting them requires a fee to high for this broke college student ; -). The small picture that I could see was clearly a tiger kill!
Lucas Kent

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2023, 12:14:02 PM »
Lucas Kent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©