INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rainy day old stuff assistance please  (Read 595 times)

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
Rainy day old stuff assistance please
« on: October 01, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Ok guys, it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Weather has never stopped me before, but what do you all think--take 'er out in the rain or not?

She's lasted 50 years so far, so I doubt it's an issue overall, but what do I do about that GREAT Trap feather rest? I'd hate to get it all matted down and yucky. And how about that sideplate? Can I cover it enough just leaving my hand over them?

I think I'll take off the limb covers, since there won't be sun I shouldn't have to worry about glare.

How about those '59 Razorheads, just grease or oil them up?

I guess I'll throw a baggie over the fletch, but if I keep the baggie up, the broadheads will for sure be swimming.

I want to make the most of a few days so looking for some nasty-weather tips for the old gear.

Of course if the deer cooperate tonight, tomorrow won't matter!

Thanks for your help.

Bernie

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rainy day old stuff assistance please
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Take her out man... I went out this morring.. Saw a few does and a very small buck but no shots... Can't go back out tell next week..

Best of luck man......

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Bernie - Go get her wet tomorrow. You can dry her off when you get home tomorrow evening. Put the arrow through both lungs so you don't have to fool around with a lengthy trailing job in the rain. Good luck.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I warm the broadhead-warm!Warm! Warm! and then put Vaseline on the head/edge and wipe with a rag. It will leave a very thin film that doesn't attract dirt but prevents rust. Have also used Chapstick.
I made a bag from light cotton camo cloth and attached a black elastic band with a metal arrow clip sewn on the the end. The bag goes over the fletch and stretch the elastic up and place the clip on one of the arrow shafts above the gripper.
Do I need to find this cover and take a picture?

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Nice arrows!!!! I assume they shot OK?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
The Vaseline trick is good.  I don't hunt in a pouring rain anymore after loosing a nice 8 pointer 30+ years ago.  Good hit from treestand but arrow didn't come out the bottom and the rain washed away every drop of blood and we couldn't find it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I will definitely use them.

Reddogge, that tracking thing is definitely my concern...if it's raining too hard I think I'll call it quits.

Ron, I guess I didn't let you know--those arrows are FANTASTIC! They fly straight as, well, an arrow   :D  

I can't wait for their moment of truth. I finally gave up on the back quiver, and I couldn't bring myself to mount the tape-on to the Grizzly, so I modified it for a side/over-the-shoulder quiver. Really seems to work great in the woods.

Thanks again for the arrows and heads.

Bernie

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
this 1959 Kodiak not only hangs around that bow rack during the day sometimes but also sleeps on that very bow rack at night rain snow sleet or gloom of night during hunting season.Restorated from tip to tip and well sealed against the eliments she lives on  .bd

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Bernie.....check your PM's
Tom I.

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the example Doc, but you don't need two compasses (compi?), so how about you send me the glove for safekeeping so it doesn't get wet out there.

By the way, I don't know about the rest of you Michiganders, but I am tired of hunting in the rain. Come home, remove arrows, dry, lube heads, remove limb covers, dry, dry bow, hang all clothes to dry, repeat.

Yesterday I decided it was time to come in when the duck feather I use for a wind check finally got soaked.

But boy do I love traipsing around the woods with that ol' '59 Grizzly.  Those old bows just carry and fit so nicely!

And tonight I had a 6 point within 10 yards twice (called him back after he sensed something wasn't right and spooked just before getting into shooting position), then he finally busted me when he took a path that led him right to me, head on. It was the biggest deer I've ever seen in the woods and the first time I've actually called one in...what a successful day to spend with that classic bow and arrows!

Thanks for all your advice and tips on keeping that gear running in the rain.  Ron, I came home and sewed up one of your fletch bags--it's getting quite the workout.

Bernie

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Bernie,
Have you shot the grizzly with the wet camo limb covers?
Guys in the past said they really slowed the bow down, or it was a bit like a muzzle loader going off....a big cloud of water spray! You might want to try a camo tape or just a good coat of paste wax - not buffed, you have to keep adding as it will rub off or buff up. I have just smeared mud on the limbs, or if it's dry weather wet the limb and sprinkle dust on the limb.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©