3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Man Made Of Elk  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
A Man Made Of Elk
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
My wife purchased this book for me for Christmas. Good thing that I got the mail before she did. I finished it in a few evenings - just couldn't put it down. I enjoyed it so much that I started to read it again. I highly recommend it to anyone that loves traditional bowhunting. Get it on your Christmas list - for yourself and a friend.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Man Made Of Elk
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
I'm happy to hear a good report on that book. I saw it in TBM and thought to myself "I NEED that book."

AND...

I know it's not good to judge a book by it's cover, but looking at the cover made me instantly think about the big bull you know is hiding up in that dark timber. Man, it doesn't take much to get me going.
Is it September yet?!

Offline stikbowshooter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Where do you find this book.  I am in dire need of a good read right now!

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
I thought that book had very little info about Elk hunting. And though I agree with many of Dave's ideas, if I read one more line about how he hates ATV's and elk calling, I was going to be sick. Every chapter he bashed something. I couldn't finsh the book.
lll

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
this book is a collection of stories, essays, and columns that appeared mostly in TBM, and other Dave P books, and a wonderful read, as always.
it's not a book about Elk hunting.
Secondly, Hunting needs a good basher like Dave, to keep the "hunting gear" industry on a short leash
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
I saw the review of the in the latest issue of Traditional Bowhunter magazine. It's definitely on my "must get" list.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Alex.B:
this book is a collection of stories, essays, and columns that appeared mostly in TBM, and other Dave P books, and a wonderful read, as always.
it's not is a book about Elk hunting.
Secondly, Hunting needs a good basher like Dave, to keep the "hunting gear" industry on a short leash
:thumbsup:  I couldn't have stated the case any better than that myself. Dave is a good, principled man and we are very fortunate to have him and his countless informative posts here at TG.  

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I agree, someone has to champion the moral and ethical principles of hunting otherwise our beloved sport becomes another meaningless free for all. The book is about Elk Hunting plus much more. I encourage you to read it and decide for yourself. I have read all the trad classics plus anthing about Traditional Hunting that I can get my hands on and thoroughly enjoyed this book.I would rate it in the top 5.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
I rate it as zero. I hunt the way I do because I want to. I don't care if a guy wants to use a compound, ATV or how he or she wants to hunt. That's up to them and I leave them alone. It's their right. God bless them. I read for enjoyment and to fill in the times I can't be outdoors. That book complains about to many hunters, people building homes on their own land, hikers, hunters other then stick and string and so many other things. Why? What's the point? Try to enjoy what you do and don't worry about the other guy. You are not any better then the next guy because you shoot traditional. That's one of the nice things about being outdoors. If you don't like what's front of you, you can go the other dirction.
lll

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
have not read the book, but,I agree with killinstuff
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I recently bought the book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.  Seemed like it would be nice winter time reading, so I've been saving it.

I don't have to read the book to be familiar with Dave's ideas on ATV's, development, etc.  And while I don't adhere to Dave's principals to the extent he advocates, I certainly do understand that those things can affect far more than the people using them.  

If you've humped your butt up a mountain to be at the top by daybreak only to have a yahoo come puttin' up on his ATV, I would think it might upset you.  I've hunted wilderness areas and come across ATV tracks in places they never should have been.

The property just to the north of an area I have elk hunted has been parceled off into 40 acres sections, and weekend homes are springing up all over the mountianside.  That was some quality elk habitat that will never be the same.  Sure, they own it, and get to do what they want, but it does affect more than just what happens on their little 40 acre chunk.  

With all that being said, I own an ATV and a hunting cabin on a small farm here in WI.  I do try hard to use them responsibly, and not affect or impact anyone else with my use.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Anyway, I hope Dave shot a nice big fat one this year and makes a few dollars off this book.
lll

Offline elkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
thats what makes this country so great is that we all have our choice on how we choose to hunt or live,americans have died for this right since our birth and are continuing to do so today,we need not bicker amongst ourselves when so much blood has been spilled for these freedoms.
kevin moore

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 07:30:00 AM »
In these times of threatened seasons and super-hi-tech hunting; we need a guy like Dave to be our collective conscience  ;)

It is not about "how" we hunt, rather "why" we hunt.  :)

BD

Offline elkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
i truly enjoy dave's style of writting and although i don't totally agree with his philosiphy on certain subjects i respect his passion for his beliefs.the jarhead has a good sense of humor.
kevin moore

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Yes we all don't have to agree on everything, but I enjoy when a guy who might not think just like me can clearly articulate why he believes he is right.
Does that make sense?    :confused:    :D

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
We certainly don't have to all agree...but we do need to keep the debate alive.  We don't grow as hunters, or police ourselves with the "anything goes" attitude of many.  It takes courage and commitment, and caring, quite frankly to stand up and talk about convictions, especially when you know that what you have to say will make most folks have to look at their own actions and questions their own reasons.   I commend David and others like him who take a stand.  Those of you who "don't care"...well, I don't have much opinion one way or the other about your convictions...you have none!   What we have today, as far as our seasons and opportunities is a  result of those few who care to take a stand, and not the anything goes crowd.  Brutal honest truth, there, my friends.   So agree with him or disagree, but stand for something and be willing to make your case.

ATV's, used legally and correctly, I have little problem with.    They can be a legitimate tool.   However, like anything else, tools that make lazy, uncaring people even lazier...that degrades our image as hunters.   Has nothing to do with traditional bowhunting, but everything to do as hunters who "supposedly care" about the resource and the opportunity to participate in the pastime.  

It is getting worse every year.  This year, the  last weekend of our general season, I was sitting in a cottonwood tree, hoping to fill my last doe tag.   My buddy was a half-mile away, doing the same, except he also had a buck tag.  We were bowhunting, and it was gun season.  That's OK, we do this every year.    A group of four ATV's drove by...I could hear them coming a mile away...cruising the edge of the creek bottom we were hunting.  This was a small corner of the whole,  and it was easy to see our vehicle parked away from the lip of the creek and a half-mile out, so that we would not spook deer going into the area.  They knew we were hunting this corner of the property, which is miles long.   Every one of those guys, aimed their loaded guns at us in our treestands (we were clearly visable to them and wearing our orange vests) to check us out, before continuing on through the area we were hunting, and crossing the creek and coming back the other side, then once again doing the same.  The brush on the creek is maybe 60 to 75 yards across.  

Despite our yelling, and giving them the finger as they spied us through the scopes of their loaded rifles....they ignored us.   The next day they did the same thing, and we left the area.  

These individuals had no right even having a firearm, IMO, let alone cruising around in ATV's  ruining our hunt.   You think I should "care" about their rights!!!?   It is not a big free-for-all out there folks....there has to be some constraints on other's actions.   And we all have to be engaged in the debate.  

I have  a couple of David's other books, and his writing  is  top-notch, I think.   Thanks for your insights and  passion David.  This book will be on  my shelves soon as well.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Guys who use their scopes to glass other hunters should be arrested for it. Pointing a weapon at someone on the street would get you locked up. There needs to be accountability for idiotic behavior. Having been on the wrong end of some pretty big guns, this is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Offline elkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
i havent hunted with a firearm since i left the marine corps but i don't bash those who do,i made my choice,i own a 4 wheeler but use it on the farm to fix fence,fill feeders and mineral stations for the deer,i don't hunt over these feeders but then again i don't judge those who do.i've used traditional eguipment since 1987 and have never looked back.we make our choices and live by our convictions,we can't expect everyone to live by the same standards that we have set for ourselves,we're differant and thats what sets us apart,wright or wrong it was our choice.they'rs always gonna be people who are of low character in our ranks as hunters and there are idiots out there everywhere that shouldn't be in the woods period.its good to push the envelope from time to time so god bless dave for never tiring from it and i'll also own his new book-go get'em dave.
kevin moore

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©