3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Man Made Of Elk  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Man Made Of Elk
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
First of all, it won't hurt you a bit to read something you don't entirely agree with--might even be good for you. But I didn't get the sense anywhere in the book that Dave would condemn anyone for making a different weapon choice than he has even though he has strong, deeply rooted reasons for his choice. The overall impression I get is more one of celebration and appreciation than complaint although he does clearly state the threats he perceives to the things he dearly loves. There are only a handful of writers in  traditional archery who manage, as writers, to be truly worthy of its spirit and Dave is one of them. But don't just read A Man Made of Elk--read all of Dave's books--really, he's one of the best we have.

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
I think one important thing to remember is to disagree with respect until given reason not to

such as using your rifle scope to glass another hunter, never heard of that one before, if I saw someone pointing a weapon at me in the woods like that I would probably shoot them.

To me the respect shown for others by everyone here is a big part of why I'm here so much. I thought my member number was high when I joined but now there are so many more here, lets do our best to keep this the best there is    :thumbsup:  even when we don't see eye to eye.

I've never read one of Dave's books but I've read and loved all his storys I've seen in the magazines.
Harold

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
I don't care for his writing, there is better out there.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Take Mr. Petersen's books as you will...I doubt Dave would lose much sleep over if you like his writing or not.  He is one "outdoor writer" (Sorry Dave i hate that term) that walks the talk he does.  How many elk hunters or hunters in general have the kind of passion and respect for the animals they hunt and the hunt in general. Not only that how many fight for those beliefs?  

Read a few of Dave's books and you realize his love for the wild and everything in it. Whether it's a grizzly or down to a wren or mountain flower. He points out the what needs to be changed or looked at in a hardway with todays "sportsman" and hunting.  I respect him for having the guts to write his feelings,thoughts,passions and sharing his personal life with the world.

Read more than one of his books, and spend some time walking in his shoes before you judge.

Also grab a couple of Ed Abbey's books, Reg Darling, TJ Conrad, or E. Donnall Thomas Jr and open your mind!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
I have read his books, along with Abbey, Thomas, Olson, Leopold, and a host of others.   Like I said, I did not care his writing, some of his attitudes expressed in his book, his postings on some bowhunting related websites, nor his appearance on a tv hunting show.

I don't lose sleep either concerning whether someone agrees or disagrees with my opinion.  However, there is more to judge a man by than how he respects animals and whether he is a traditional bowhunter.   Sorry Drew, I have an open mind, open your mind to the fact that not everyone may see things the same way you do.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys after reading this thread I ordered the book. I get the impression that Mr. Petersen's book promotes "locals only" type attitude, coupled with "if you don't want to do the work". I guess that I will enjoy the book and my favorite books are by Mr. Abbey.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Jeff, sent ya a pm.. you seem confused the post was not to bash you or even directed just to you.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
It is comments like these (and others)

"There are only a handful of writers in traditional archery who manage, as writers, to be truly worthy of its spirit"

that makes me wonder about "tradition" archery.

All I wanted to do was sling some arrows with a recurve and longbow (maybe someday a selfbow) and I wanted to do it better.  It is frustrating to have to wade through all this worthiness and religion stuff just to do that.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
Drew, thanks for the PM and the comments, I can understand why you are a fan of his work.   Good luck and take care.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
I don't get the sense that Dave is "Judging" anyone.
He does call attention to things he believes are the wrong path. I freely admit to that trait in myself.  He bases his on experience. I blame mine on having lived in an older, better (to me) time. The "good old days" of archery, really were.
Seems any time a discussion of Ethics comes up, a lot of folks claim that if it's Legal, it's OK. I won't trust my Ethics, or Morals for that matter to a bunch of Politicians.
I like Peterson's writing. No I don't agree with ALL of his opinions, but I do agree with a lot of them.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Haven't read the book yet, but I should get it this Christmas. To the folks that don't care for Mr. Petersons writings, don't read anymore of them. A writer should write about the things he is passionate about and he should share that passion with his readers. If you find yourself in agreement, great. If you don't, that is great too. I think that we all have a passion for one thing or another and the longer we indulge in that passion the harder it is for us to understand why others don't feel the same way we do. Kind of like bashing the authors of book about different shooting styles....I've read about all of them and learned a little something from each book and have developed my own style in the process. Just because I don't gap shoot doesn't mean it doesn't work. I'm anxious to read Mr. Peterson's book(s). I'll bet I learn something even if I'm not trying! LOL! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
"A writer should write about the things he is passionate about and he should share that passion with his readers. If you find yourself in agreement, great. If you don't, that is great too. I think that we all have a passion for one thing or another and the longer we indulge in that passion the harder it is for us to understand why others don't feel the same way we do."  

Well Said Mike,  :clapper:    :clapper:  
T Downing
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
I have the great priveledge of calling Dave my friend. He is one of the good guys. His writing is thoughtful, passionate and poignant. Dave really really cares about the wilderness and more importantly about the "Wildness" of things.

While you may not agree with some of his opinions or reasons, I think all would agree that Dave is a wonderful and entertaining writer. I have read all of Dave's books. I'm certain everyone one who spends time in the great outdoors would benefit from reading a Man Made of Elk.

Yes, we all have the right to disagree and I don't fault any man for expressing his opinions. But with that said I encourage everyone to read some of, if not all of Dave's work. Hey, this is a man who cares about Wildness and wild things. He works for the better of all. Like his opinons or not we need more guys like him out there.

As for me...I loved the book!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Even when we don't agree with everything he might believe, it has us all at least thinking about some of the issues he is passionate about.  And that can only be a good thing - whether you follow his ideas exactly, agree with some but not others, or disagree entirely,  thinking about the issues can go a long way to understanding both sides of it.  

The more we can all learn to look at these kind of issues objectively and consider other points of view the better off we all will be.  We don't exist in a vacuum, and the actions we take and the decisions we make often impact more than just ourselves.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
"All I wanted to do was sling some arrows with a recurve and longbow (maybe someday a selfbow) and I wanted to do it better.  It is frustrating to have to wade through all this worthiness and religion stuff just to do that "
lt-m-grow i think your missing the point i have not read this book yet but i can tell you after reading reg darlings book and meeting this man its not about the religous stuff, its about embracing the traditional side of archery being true to the spirit belonging to something special, not just about slinging arrows. just my feelings, and i am sure theese writers feel the same way about being tradtional.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I just started reading this book last night and found it hard to put down when my eyes became too heavy to continue.  Opinionated?  Yes.  Passionate?  Yes.  Worth the reading? You'll be the poorer for at least not having given him the chance to make his case, which he does in a very entertaining way.  This book is not the usual, run of the mill hunting book.  If you can't stand to have your thinking stimulated, then don't read it.  Besides, he has some great one liners: "An adventure is not always fun when it's happening."  about the third sentence of the first chapter.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
If all you want is a how-to book there are plenty of good ones out there and they serve a perfectly legitimate purpose. And if that's all you want, don't bother with Dave's books (or mine)But there are many among us for whom archery and hunting are an integral part of our way of life, our spirituality, politics, ethics, aesthetics, etc. in a broadscale way that reaches into every corner of our sense of who we are and how we fit into this world--that's a vast intellectual and emotional territory we love to explore (both as readers and as writers) as much as we love to wander in wild country. In fact, those two realms of exploration are mutually illuminating.
Dave Petersen's books have enriched both my inner and outer wanderings and I'm grateful for them.

Offline MG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Dave and Mark have it right.  There is no question that thousands of acreages in the midwest that used to be available for responsible people to gain permission and hunt are now closed or only accessible to wealthy folks who can join hunting clubs.  When talking to multiple farmers about this, it came down to ATV's running all over their lands.  Almost NO hunting clubs in the midwest allow ATV's except to retrieve game and then must stay on specific paths. That is good.  Unfortunately, you have to have big $$$ to be a member.

Offline elkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
since the amishman killed that brute last year here in southern ohio,all the farmers are leasing their land at average of 14.00per acre whether its pasture ,timber,or crop fields.i don't really blame the farmers cause that'll help pay their expenses but it sure started a bad trend here as it has in other states.if only more people could have lent an ear to what dave & reg have been telling us about all along,not specifically on leasing but it all fits in together.
kevin moore

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
I love these books...makes one THINK!!!!mARCO#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©