3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Man Made Of Elk  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Mark Richards

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Man Made Of Elk
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
I consider Dave my best friend, so I'm obviously biased . I just got Man Made of Elk via bush plane, haven't read it yet but have read plenty of Dave's "campfarter" philosophy pieces in Tradbow mag and looking fwd to this book as well. Is he ornery and passionate? Dang right? Do I always agree with him? Hell no. But I don't always agree with my other best friend, my wife of 27 years.

Dave lives what he writes. He's one of the few who do. He is passionate about wild country and the dangers of over-development, roading, atv abuse, and loss of habitat, to name only a few things. To top that off, he can write concisely and eloquently on those subjects and more, in a way that gets us to really thinking about things most of us would rather remain hidden and unsaid.

His work with  Colorado Backcountry Hunters and Anglers  is another aspect of his true committment to hunting and habitat protection and conservation. Support them if you are in Colorado, for they are doing great work.

I've learned a lot from Dave over the years, both through his writing, personal comms, and around the campfire sharing some George Dickel.  Hard to say which of his books is my favorite, but I suppose I'd lean toward Heartsblood, as it really delves into all aspects of hunting, even the "bad" parts that we all see and hear about but too rarely discuss openly amongst ourselves. (It was this book that caused me to also pick up a copy of Dersu the Trapper, a fantastic read which Dave has a chapter on in the book.)It takes courage to speak from within the hunting fraternity and condemn some aspects of it. Ironically, when doing so the hunting fraternity sometimes lambasts Petersen as an "anti." Sigh...that's a shame, because nothing could be further from the truth.

We need people from withing the hunting community to speak out on some things. I'm sure glad Dave does. He does it very well too. You guys might check out some of his other books on his  Website ...and if you are into Abbey at all then Postcards from Ed, a collection of Ed's letters over decades put together by Dave, is a must read.  

Okay, end of shameful promotion of a friend . Good hunting and reading to all,
Mark

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
This book is simply...FANTASTIC! Impossible for me to put down. I give it an A+. Captures everything that is good about chasing Elk with traditional gear.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:
It is comments like these (and others)

"There are only a handful of writers in traditional archery who manage, as writers, to be truly worthy of its spirit"

that makes me wonder about "tradition" archery.

All I wanted to do was sling some arrows with a recurve and longbow (maybe someday a selfbow) and I wanted to do it better.  It is frustrating to have to wade through all this worthiness and religion stuff just to do that.
Hold the phone here Hoss!.....Nobody says you have to wade though anything here!!!....

There are many folks that take the "Traditional" part of Trad archery to many different levels. Whether it is becoming one with your arrow...or having a deep respect for the wildlife we hunt and love & respect of the land we hunt. This is religious stuff to many folks....

I believe you are being disrespectful to folks that really care and love about our wonderful sport here....My sincere recommendation would be to set your targets up behind the barn yard, and wade though that instead.....

Sorry i got my hackle up here folks....Kirk

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
I was just enjoying a couple of chapters before coming on here. Great book, I recommend it to anyone that has dreamed of going to elk camp.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Even when we don't agree with everything he might believe, it has us all at least thinking about some of the issues he is passionate about.  And that can only be a good thing - whether you follow his ideas exactly, agree with some but not others, or disagree entirely,  thinking about the issues can go a long way to understanding both sides of it.  

The more we can all learn to look at these kind of issues objectively and consider other points of view the better off we all will be.  We don't exist in a vacuum, and the actions we take and the decisions we make often impact more than just ourselves.
Whip....you got it going on! My hats off to you sir.....

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
I'am addicted to both traditional bowhunting and Elk hunting. This book has helped to quench my thirst during the long awaited upcoming season. I'll probably read it a few more times before Elk season. It has been hard for me to find traditional books that echo my feelings and this is definetly one.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »
An awesome book, I will be purchasing more of his work. He writes about things that I hold dear. Also Google Thomas Daly for some awesome wildlife art.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
Dave Peterson writes what he thinks, and I respect that very much. That said, I don't care for his writing, or his interaction on sites like this. He appears a little bit "holier than thou". I could be wrong. I would like to meet him so I could be sure of my opinion.

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I just got "A Hunters Heart" and "Elkheart"... its definitely on my list...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
In my opinion,it's too late to worry about high tech hunting. You either chose to use technology or to not use it. I remember when portable tree stands were a new idea..    :campfire:

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
I am almost finished reading the book, It is one of the best I have read in a while.I like Daves style of writing, he is honest with himself and says what alot of us might be feeling but dont have the platform to do so. As a fellow BHA member,I agree that the ATV issue is a very real one, and needs to be addressed often. People for the most part are always looking for the easy route,and dont really care who they affect. and you have to commend Dave for searching a week for a elk he had lost, knowing the meat would be ruined after a day or so, and not for the 3x5 rack it carried. I also enjoy following the writings of a hunter who isnt in it for the horns, and passes animals early in the season to extend his hunting time. A guy who is 60 years old and still insists on doing it the hard way ie: packing the meat out on his back and packing in deep enough to hopefully avoid the atv's, and by his campfire conversations is as passonite a hunter as any of us. I can learn from this man. his book " a hunters heart" also displays his deep passonite feelings for hunting. Again, I think this is a great book from a person we can all learn from.   Dave
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Dave Lay, you just summed it all    :thumbsup:  

Happy New Year

Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
"Holier than thou."  Nope.  More experienced and smarter than thou, and me and a good share of others on this site.  Damn right.

Dave carrys a huge burden, seeing the ignorance, abuse and greed both within and outside the hunting community, no doubt recognizing the futility of trying to do something about it, but through his writing and speaking trying to do so just the same.

It's a losing battle, in my opinion.  Greed and stupidity are in the lead and will likely win out, but I sure do admire his passion, grit, intelligence and eloquence in taking on the fight.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
I have to agree with Mr Norris.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
""Holier than thou." Nope. More experienced and smarter than thou, and me and a good share of others on this site. Damn right."

Your assuming a bit.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Funny after rereading his book, my friend and I had a runin with morons on ATVs in the National Forest. "KB definition of moron "anyone who rides an ATV without a helmet, gets lost, follows hunters to ask them how to get out of the woods."
So I agree with most of what he said.

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
I just ordered two of his books then the next day I wanted to add to the order and couldn't figure it out so I just ordered the third separately.  

A little bit later I got an email from Mr. Peterson asking if I just wanted to have them all sent in one package and have the 2nd postage refunded to me.  I was floored that he took the time to contact me about it.

So far I am impressed!
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
hey brother i need to borrow this book from ya!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
I just ordered 3 of Daves books after reading  all the comments on here. Sounds like a great guy to   :campfire:  with. Looking forward to some great reading!  R.B.
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I would love to read the book.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©