3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather wrap questions  (Read 263 times)

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather wrap questions
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
I've looked through the tutorials on leather wraps but they deal with fairly straight-handled bows. Do the same techniques apply if you're covering a figured handle?
Also, has anyone used the adhesive-backed wraps from 3-Rivers? Am I better off getting leather from a craft store and stitching it up?  I saw a sheath build-along that suggested soaking the leather in alcohol to help it form to a knife. Could I use the same technique for a handle wrap without detriment to the bow finish?
Any suggestions or tips to get a nice, tight fitting wrap would be greatly appreciated.
Is it September yet?!

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather wrap questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
I've used contact cement to help comform the leather to deep grips. Works OK. Also used gorilla snot too. Thin leather that has some stretch like bucksin works great.

However lately I have started using inner tubes from 10 speed looks good and is functunal

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
I've tried a few times to make a nice one.   Take thin leather, wet it with water, clamp it tight to the handle clamping along the stitch line, trim to length once it dries and sew

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Read this thread and I explain the way I do it.http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040712
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©