INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Classic bows for kids???  (Read 305 times)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Classic bows for kids???
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I posted this on Pow Wow also, but thought I'd put it here too, and ask about the advisability of giving older bows like this to kids.

I just picked up 2 Bear Red Bear fiberglass bows (Grayling Mich. molded into the grips). Decal says Red Bear by Bear AM0 50". I made strings for them and measured the weight. One is 15# @ 25", one is 18# @ 25" (I just picked a draw length-I don't know if that is what kids draw or not).

My question is (my wife and I have never had kids of our own) what age range would these be good for?

I have a number of nieces and nephews, and friends with kids, that could make good use of these (and I've some kid arrows also), but I really don't know what age range I should give them to.

I do know that when I was active teaching the Archery Merit Badge with the Boy Scouts, the older Scouts called these red bows "cubbie bows" which leads me to think they would be good for the 6 to 10 crowd???

Anyway, thanks for your opinions.

RonP

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Classic bows for kids???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I gave one in POW WOW.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
I would agree on the weight although it's hard to tell. A big kid at 8 may find them too light and vice versa.

My son is 12 and shoots 25#

sam

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
My girl at nine was "just barely" able to pull a bow that was 24# at 24".  She was typical 9 yr old and probably pulling around 15-18#.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©