3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Navajo Longbows  (Read 2406 times)

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
Navajo Longbows
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Ok, someone just had to do it again. Start a "Who has a bow on order? " thread. Not me. Last night I saw a post for a Navajo Apache and thought that I just might. I had to wait for the bosses approval and she was asleep.Well we've all heard when she snoozes you loose and the bow was sold this morning.Congrats to whoever bought it.
Anyway, I just e-mailed Roy with my ideas for a new bow. Haven't ordered one yet. Thinking about an Apache or Aztec 62 or 64" 48@29". Cocobolo and osage riser with osage limbs.I have looked at alot of longbows but keep coming back to the Navajo.
         Any pros or cons or suggestions would be appreciated. I have always been a recurve guy.

Thanks Gang
                         Ed
  :campfire:

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Navajo Longbows
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
they are very nice bows. I have a caddo that I really like. Ive heard there not very quick but I couldn't be happier with the speed I get from mine. I shot a apache at k-zoo last year liked it as well. that will be my next Navajo.
phil:4.13

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
He makes a very nice bow and is willing to work to your specifications on pretty much everything.  I talked to him for an hour or so at the West VA expo.and he is a great guy.  Even if he does not have an option listed on his website, don't be afraid to ask for it.

-Charlie

Offline gilf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »
I recently got one second hand, I had also heard that they are not particuarly fast but I have no complaints with the one I have.

Shoots great once I had the opportunity to do some tuning.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
You won't be dissapointed with Roy's Bow... He is a great fellow to have working on your bow...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Roy makes a fine bow. They are smooth as silk, they look good and shoot as fast as I need them to shoot. Take a look at his TD Apache longbow. I personally prefer two piece TD long bows over three piece and Roy's Apache TD is second to none. Besides that he is a class act. Good luck in your search.

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.
I too have heard about the speed issue with Navajos. Thats the least of my concerns. I hunt with heavy arrows and limit my ranges and have yet to find a bow that was to slow for me.
I recieved a reply from Roy today. His prices are competative with any bows I have been looking at.
Now I just have to get my wifes OK. The last BIG hurdle.
Thanks again for your input.

Take care,
                             Ed

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I don't think you will be disappointed I have an Apache And it shoots great it's smooth as silk and it seems pretty fast to me.

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Mine is a 62" Navaho Cherokee 50@28. It has the rubber grip wrap. Excellant craftsmanship, beautiful, quiet bow with no handshake. I dont know what the speed is but I judge by the arrow cast compared to the rest of my bows. It is very much in line and I am sure it is very lethal. Roy builds a bow that you would be proud to own and a pleasure to shoot. Speed is nice but accuracy is final.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
I heard that speed thing so I got the Chrno out and The Caddo was right there with the rest of my good bows. One thing I dearly love about it is the total lack of sound it makes. I shot 4 bucks with that bow and none of them heard a thing before the arrow arrived.
And Mr. Hall is a real gentleman to deal with; a friend of my stopped by his shop to just look around and was so impressed he left with three bows.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »
Better to ask forgivness than permission   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Roy Hall of Navajo is a great man and pleasure to work with. Just got my new apache about three weeks ago. Shoots very well and is great looking. Will try to post pictures later.
Life is tough,it's even tougher if you are stupid. SEMPER FI (63-67)

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Better to ask forgivness than permission  

I think we can all stand behind Nighthawk for his unselfish act of bravery.
Signed:
No name please
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
I bought a used Navajo Chief a while back and it's a great little shooter. It's only 40# @ 28, and although I never shot it through a chrony, I can't tell much if any difference between the speed of the 40# Chief, and the 51# Chek-Mate I was shooting. I guess what I'm trying to say is I didn't have to change my aiming process. Using the same arrows by the way.

I also emailed Roy with some questions and he was quick to reply, even though I never bought the bow from him. That means a lot to me. I've emailed lots of bowyers in the past, as a potential buyer, only to never have my emails returned.

Roy seems top notch to me.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
Cherokee, Cherokee, Cherokee, that is all I can say. I had one that was 50#s at 28"s and 62"s long. I have never really shot longbows well and I could shoot Roys Cherokee lights out. I would buy another in a heartbeat. It was quick and very and I mean very quiet. The bunny in my Avatar was killed with a Cherokee, I think I am holding the bow as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the input all. I think you have confirmed my impression of the bow and bowyer.Shawn I will definately take a closer look at the Cherokee.Nighthawk now you got my gears turnin. I never thought of that. Guess I've always taken the wrong approach.  :knothead:  Indiana is along way from Nebraska if you are wrong and I need some help.Danny, I see you are from Sioux City. My home town. Thats where I grew up.(Well sort of.)I used to spend alot of time on a field archery range south of town near a golf coarse back in the late 60s early 70s.Ran by the Sioux Bowman if I remember correctly.

Thanks again folks and wish me luck. The holidays are a terrible time to be homeless.

Take care

Ed  :help:

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
I just picked up a Cherokee at the PO from Brittman.  Wow awesome bow! 62" 52#@28 cocobolo and chechen riser, carary wood over bamboo limb cores.  Thanks for all of the input on Roy's bows, I was not familar with them.  Sure am please with this one.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
APACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!One sweet shooting bow and that forward handle sure makes one smooth drawing bow and quiet as a church mouse.As fast as any other bow i think!!Carbon bows may be faster but Roy's bows are not a dog in speed either.FIT AND FINISH ARE AS GOOD AS THEY GET!!And a true gentleman if there ever was one!!!!!!!!!!!!!MY VOTE IS THE APACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
APACHE!! is my vote too...a great bowyer and bow(s)!!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Send Lost Nation Larry an email he might have one in stock
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©