INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Antique Archery Arsenal  (Read 6023 times)

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Antique Archery Arsenal
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
all I can say is WOW
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Wade, If you dont want those Bear 76er's let me know.. I am looking for a few of them..

Cody

P.S great pics Wade,
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
It worths a tour from Italy to Nebraska,congrats and thanks for sharing all your informations.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
I've pretty much followed this thread since the first day you posted, Wade. I've started to post my thoughts several times, and can't quite put them to words. I feel honored to be able to see so much archery history for free. I know it's not like being there, as we can't see every individual piece, but it's still stunning. I would consider seeing this collection in person as the eighth wonder of the world.

Not only have you amassed a wonderful collection of archery history, but the hours of photography you have logged as well as the research and documentation. Having met you at Comptons, and spending time listening to the passion you have for this sport, it doesn't surprise me the collection you have. I'm still amazed at seeing it all.

All I can say is I hope to see it all someday!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Wade,I'm looking for some Barns items If you ever dig anything up along that line.Very impressive collection.PS Still waiting for your book.I have Dominos Pizza on hold for the big occasion...Rick....

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Wade,

You've left me speechless. I've just been looking/lurking in awe for the past few days and finally by page 4 I can say I will be heading to Nebraska someday just to see it in person!

From the simple things like I remember that KM lamp (or one very similar at Floyd's), to just 'wow' what organization you have!

Your museum is just amazing man!  I can't thank you enough for organizing, recording and displaying that history for what ultimately amounts to the benefit of the archery history community.

Thanks Pal!
Bernie

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
So how much is admission, and what are your hours?  

Excellent collection Wade, how long have you been collecting?  What were some of the first archery items that got you started?

Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
Wade, your pictures did good, because I could show the wife, that the few things I may have collected, are not worth being worried about ...!

With all the information you provided as which wall or corner is pointing in what direction, I thought if I should print out the pics and glue them to a styrofoam replica of your basement, so I can "walk through" your collection!?

Maybe you should get in contact with someone who can do a full 3D-scan, or panorama photos, like the Google Earth "street view" feature? This would make a nice virtual museum too.

I specially liked the bow string collection left from your personal shooters!

:notworthy:  

Falk

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Falk - Great idea to use a panorama photograph. After posting the images, I realized I should have just started at one point and went around all the walls in order. Haven't posted images of a few walls, as they haven't got straightened out yet.

Tim - No charge for admission. Guys who visit usually spend a weekend or at least over night. We can find a place for you to sleep here. I started in archery in 1958 as a kid and always hoarded all the archery tackle I could lay my hands on. In the 1970s, I joined the Broadhead Collector's Club that was formed in 1974. Although back then most broadhead collectors focused on just collecting broadheads, I collected archery books, magazines, catalogs, old bows, quivers, arrows, fish points, fletching tools, and nearly anything else that was old. I traded broadheads for a lot of paper items and other old archery tackle. Many years ago, I remember telling a bow collector, that I was not really a bow collector. When he discovered I had over 300 bows, at that time, he told me I was a bow collector if I wanted to admit it or not. What were some of the first items that got me started collecting? Guess since 1958, I'd always saved all the monthly issues the NFAA's "Archery" magazine and organized them by month and year and frequently read, re-read and re-re-read them over and over. Early on, I completed that set back to Feb 1944. Those 1940s and 1950s “Archery” magazines are still some the greatest archery reading ever.

Actually "Archery" Magazine was an unbelievable resource for contacts. I used the 1940s and 1950s issues to contact bowmen whose names appeared in those issues. They were usually more than happy to sell me their unwanted, old, used, archery tackle. I also bought out the entire unsold inventory from several out-of-business archery shops. Boy, those were the days... Unfortunately, a bowman who was 40 years old in 1945 would be 104 years old today, so many of those 1940s and 1950s bowmen aren’t around anymore to contact.

After hunting season was over in 2005, I realized that really needed to get some the archery displays re-organized as many had just been thrown together. I started at one corner and went around the basement redoing one complete wall at a time, and adding walls were it was logical. Still not completely finished, but guess this type of project is never complete and displays will always need to be redone and updated.

Bernie - That Kodiak Magnum floor lamp is actually the one that Floyd had in his shop. I have another one of Floyd's Bow Lamps that I won as the Grand Prize at the ABCC annual meeting in 1979 at Clinton Indiana. At that point, I think it was the first thing I ever won in my life.

Kenny - Just come and spend a couple of days. Give me some notice so I can get the rest of the place straightened up...
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I never get tired of looking at old archery stuff, this is one of the best collections I have ever seen... thanks again Wade
Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Wade... If you ever get a chance I'd love to see a close up of Chet Stevenson's arrows.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Remarkable! I think a road trip is in order.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
im glad they put this back up . bet i go to this one post and just stare at the screen , i love them old bear bows .

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
I wish I had the words to describe my thoughts, maybe this will do

WOW

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Every time I look at this post, I'm overwhelmed.  That is a real museum!

It takes real dedication to put a collection like this together.  My hat is off to you sir.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Wade, I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of your collection. Thanks for sharing!!!

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
That's an amazing collection. I doubt I'll ever get over there, but I'll be sure to let you know if I do. I'd love to see some of those bows first-hand, if the opportunity arises.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Wade,

I sure hope you've had a serious discussion with your insurance agent regarding scheduling that collection- if you haven't, then do it today, bud.

You're my hero. Beautiful. Thanks for preserving our history.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Wade,
I wish I still worked for that company in Omaha.  I'd stop by for a look see and visit.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline gaitero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Hi Wade,
Really nice collection. Hope one day see that.
Thanks for the pictures.
Rich

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©