INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Real fortunate find--Bear Bow Quiver  (Read 496 times)

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
Real fortunate find--Bear Bow Quiver
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Ya know how every now and again you find something that just makes you go 'Wow'.

I got a package in the mail today that made me say 'Wow'.

Even before my relatively short involvement in this forum, I have been a fan of the early Bear bow quivers, but never saw one that I thought was worth the purchase because of the generally poor condition of a 60-year-old leather item.

I saw this one the other day and figured 'what the heck, go ahead and bid'...looked decent, even though I knew the photos could be misleading.

Well, when I opened the package today, there was a brand new quiver inside! I can't believe it--this quiver should be 55-60 years old (I think?) but aside from a bit of mildew, it's a new quiver.

I can't imagine there is any market for fake ones, so it's gotta be original--of course one of you guys may burst my bubble and tell me otherwise.

I can't detect that it ever even had an arrow in it...The only casualty: the rubber arrow holder is cracked with age. It even came with the quiver bushing for the bow.

Sorry for rambling on, but I am just amazed at the condition of this leather quiver that sat on a shelf for more than half a century.

Enjoy the pics.

Bernie

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Real fortunate find--Bear Bow Quiver
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
sweet!  you just might be able to rig up a replacement 4 arrow bear replacement gripper from 3 rivers to work on that bad boy.  ive used the replacement grippers in a few leather tops of mine and they work great.  you would probably just have to shave off the back gripper making it 3 enabling it to work in your quiver.  that is if you plan on using it!  congrats!  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Quivers+Quiver+Accessories+Miscellaneous+Bear+4-Arrow+Gripper_c14_s100_p73_i3590_product.html
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
That is a beauty! No wonder you are excited.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Wow, is right. Nice find..

Offline Mike Shaw

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
So your the one that outbid me...Oh well    "[dntthnk]"  

You got a part of Bear history right there
good snag ...enjoy
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
is there an echo in here sounds like I said are you the one that out bid me tooooooooo.Just kidding and beside gbay is a level playing field.
But I must say thats one heck of nice quiver Bermie.Yes you can get a 4 arrow gripper from 3 r's a cut it with a razorhead I mean razor blade and it'll work great.That was a good hit bro.bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Nice quiver Bernie,I think you out-bid me on that one too.I just picked up another one similar to yours on e-*** but it says Bear Archery Co. on it instead of the running bear logo.Haven't gotten it yet so I don't know the condition but I hope it's half as nice as yours.
 Bowdoc-I don't think I would be good for trimming Bernies arrow holder,as you probably already know, I am very dull.Nice one Bernie.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
nice find.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
That is a quiver that you should leave the gripper as is. You might try a little Armour-all on the rubber to slow the aging. That quiver is a very nice find!It took me many years to find to one I have and it has been used...the good side to that, means somebody took it hunting and had some adventures with it.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
good find,congrats
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Nice quiver to say the least!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

I don't think I will be taking this one out hunting--will just stick with the cracked rubber--but thanks Newell for the link because I am looking for those arrow holders for a couple other quivers.

Sorry for outbidding you guys on it   :D  . I thought I paid too much for it--until I saw it!  I should check those bidder idents, if I would have known, I MIGHT have backed off.

Raghorn, think I should use something on the touch of mildew on the leather? I don't want to mess with thing too much, everything is still soft and pliable.

Rich, that cutout is on both sides and i see it in the very early catalogs. My guess is the foot on the sewing machine they used was too big to make an attractive corner, so they cut the leather that way to enable simple, straight stitching and not have to go around the corner while forcing the leather cap to curve. Then they punched out the heavy leather liner and slipped it under the cap, followed by the foam. Funny that now we have to have the hoods made of heavy plastic to protect us from ourselves!

Probably truly a handmade piece--seems funny all that work and they sold for something like 3-4 bucks!

John, please post when you get yours...I would assume yours is earlier because of the name rather than the running bear, correct? So mine is probably a youngster at 55, rather than 60 like yours?

Thanks again guys, it's really neat to hold a piece of history like this.

Bernie

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Bernie..nice piece of history...enjoy it  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
:cool:    :thumbsup:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Bernie - Great find. That is as nice as any Bear Scabbard Quiver I have ever seen and I've seen and owned a lot of them over the years. Rarely ever see one that never had an arrow in it. Very tuff to find a Scabbard with an original arrow gripper in mint condition. You have the right idea to leave it as it is and find used one to take in the woods.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©