INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Root Golden Eagle  (Read 371 times)

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
Root Golden Eagle
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Just picked up a Golden Eagle from the sixties, in great condition. My question is; did the risers come in different colors? The reason that I ask is that the riser on mine is an ugly goldish kahki color and I would like to re-paint it, but still keep it original looking.

Thanks

Offline Ron Bushong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Root Golden Eagle
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Les,
If you look around on archeryhistory.com you will find an old magazine cover and an old ad showing the Golden Eagle.  It was marketed by "Shakespeare" and "Proline" along with "Root".  I know that Root was bought out by Shakespeare, but I'm not sure how or when Proline fits into the picture.  In any event, the Golden Eagles from each of the three companies are all the same bow as far as I know.  I'm not sure what colors were available during those three different time periods.  I sold a red Proline version a couple years ago that did not appear to have been repainted - I always assumed that the color was original.  I still have one of the ugly greenish-gold Root models.  Besides for color, they were identical to each other.  This greenish/gold is the only color I have personally come across with the actual "Root" name on it, although it's possible that they were available in other colors as well.  There were a few that sold on the auction site a few years ago that were different colors, but I'm pretty sure that those were all "Proline" bows.  They have nice grips and are good shooters - very stable.
If you bought the one that was listed here on TG earlier this month - you got a nice bow.
RB

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Thanks Ron, yes, I bought the one that was listed here, and it is in great condition! I have a weakness for the old target bows, lots of them were great shooters.

Offline Ron Bushong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I have the same weakness.  Of all the vintage metal riser target bows that I've owned, I think my favorite is the skeletonized Dickies TD-II by Dickie Roberts.  Mine doesn't look like much in kind of an ugly puke-green color, but it is probably the most comfortable, sweetest-shooting bow that I own.

Back to your original question, I think that a nice gold metalflake paint would look very similar to original on the Golden Eagle - only better.  I've also toyed with the idea of repainting mine - just haven't done it yet.  Golden Eagles aren't particularly collectible, so I don't think either one of us will kill collector value by repainting.

Best regards - happy holidays,
Ron

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I like the idea of a gold metalflake paint, I think that is what I will use.

Thanks again,
Les

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©