3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: are blunts ok for squirrels?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
are blunts ok for squirrels?
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I know they would kill a rabbit, but could I use blunts on squirrels?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: are blunts ok for squirrels?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
If you use Tarantulas, yes   :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
I won't even use Judos on them, those little stinkers are tough!  I like Game Nabbers or broadheads, something like the Magnus bladed blunt should work well also.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I've killed squirrels with Ace Hexhead blunts on several occasions.  Best to hit 'em in the head though cause they can be vicious little boogers when wounded.  I wouldn't use a field point though, no sense in making them made unneccesarily.

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Sometimes. I've killed 'em dead as dirt with blunts. I've also had them "return from the dead" on me using the same heads. All my squirrel heads incorporate some kind of a blade or edge on them these days.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Yes.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I would use broadheads or gamenabbers, blunts will not do it unless you get a head shot.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Steel blunts will put them away if you hit them in the head.  I use those for shots in the trees.  For shots on the ground, I use broadheads.  Pound for pound, they're about the toughest thing to kill there is.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I feel that if deer were as tough as squirrels, we would never kill any of them.  I put a hex head through a squirrel this fall and I watched as the squirrel climbed a tree, came back down and walked off with my arrow.  Never did find the arrow or squirrel.  From now on it is only broadheads.  Rick

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
It will kill them, you jusy might not know it. I hit a squirrel with a blunt. He sat on a tree limb for about 30 minutes before falling dead.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Chet Stevenson, the "Ole Bowhunter" probably killed more squirrels than all of us on this site put together.  The man was an artist and an inovator when it came to his equipment and he preferred steel blunts to anything else.  I shoot them exclusively.  They don't get stuck in trees and if you ever want to see how much energy they have just try shooting one at half inch thick plywood some time.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline hoebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I have shot alot of squirrels with blunts and usually I break their back and watch them climb the tree with only their front legs working. they are very tough. I switched to some broadheads called the varmiter. they put the whoop butt on those squirrels. no more crawl offs.
ABR

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
I agree with Raminshooter, blunts have probably killed more squirrels than anyhead. Their vital are not big so any head can leave wounded ones, judos can tear them open and broadheads can slice a part off and they still make it ot a hole. I have shot about everything at squirrels and have killed more with blunts than any head, but last year I started using a sharpened wingnut screwed unto a ramin dowel and that is working well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
Shawn---can you post a pic of your sharpened wingnut setup?
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Last year I shot a 580-grain arrow tipped with a 125 grain G5 small game head from a 45lb bow at a squirrel that was 7 yards away and I hit this squirrel hard in his side. The arrow after hitting the squirrel dropped straight to the ground, as did the squirrel. I thought yes… my first traditional kill! When the squirrel hit the ground he flopped around a little bit, as I would expect him to do. I confidently head over to retrieve my trophy and then he jumped up and took off. :eek:

He went up into a tree and peeked around the trunk at me and I took another shot. This shot glanced off the tree and missed him completely. I looked down to nock another arrow, looked back up in the tree and saw no squirrel. I circled the tree while looking up in the tree and all the surrounding trees and saw no squirrel. So I set back against a tree a little ways from where I last saw him and I waited and watched and watched and watched. I set for 45 minutes waiting for some kind of movement or sound from him and saw and heard nothing.

After 45 minutes I went back to the tree of his last know origin and started doing circles around the tree searching the ground thinking maybe he died and fell out of the tree and I didn’t see or hear it happen. I spent another 20 minutes searching the ground and found nothing.

So to answer your question, no I wouldn’t use a blunt (rubber blunt) to hunt squirrels unless you can consistently hit a golf ball. Squirrels are tough little dudes!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »
I would advise rubber blunts if your tempted to shoot straight up.

Lets not forget gravity   :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 06:34:00 AM »
I only use judo points. Blunts would probably work. Good huntin' !
DR

Offline Doug in MI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
Ace hex blunts work for me.
Team Hoots
Lil Hoot 55#@27
Black Widow SAIII 55#@27

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
Gamenabbers or bodkins do it for me.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
I think blades are in order...heck I shot one 4 times with a SHOTGUN once and it still ran off.  The first shot blew the thing out of the tree and I could tell from the leaves that he was in the middle of the pattern every time after that...beat all I've ever seen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©