3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: are blunts ok for squirrels?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: are blunts ok for squirrels?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
A steel blunt will go through a 3/4" piece of plywood at 14 paces, I'm sure it will humanly dispatch any squirrel that you will come across.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
IMO, blunts won't work consistantly on Midwestern fox squirrels. I use a modified field point which stays in the critter to help with recovery.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Squirrels are not necessarily harder to kill than most other critters but they are very, very difficult to kill quickly. Since squirrels have the ability to climb trees and get out of reach, and are smaller than most other game animals we hunt and harder to find even on the ground after hit, it is important to find a way to kill them quickly.

I don’t know what is the absolute best head to use as I haven’t tried everything out there. I’m always looking for the “best”,  but of the heads I have used by far the best is the bladed blunt. It produces both the shock of the blunt with the penetration and cutting ability of a broadhead. Keeping the arrow in the squirrel after a hit greatly reduces the chance of a squirrel being able to get back up a tree before he dies, or before you can get to him after he has been able to hide on the ground. Too many times a broadhead alone will pass through, and the steel blunt alone will not always penetrate enough to stay in the squirrel.

A squirrel hard hit with about any head will die, many times a slow and painful death if you can’t get to him and find him quickly. The goal is to be able to retrieve the squirrel, and do so as quickly and humanely as possible. Head shots of course are ideal, and in this case type of head used is irrelevant. I can’t even come close to getting 100% head shots so type of head used is important to me.
Tom Mussatto

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
I agree with Tom.  I've been hunting squirrels with bow and arrow for over four decades and have learned a thing or three.  They are tough little buggers and have the tenacity of a badger.

If you get them close on the ground, and hit them in the head, about anything will kill them; however, that usually is not the case.  I generally use modified broadheads...snubbed tips.

Here's one:  

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
george d stout, where did you get heads like that to modify?, how did you modify them?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Ace blunts, or a bladed blunt--you get shock plus tissue damage/blood loss.  An Ace Hex Head blunt behind the shoulder will kill one quick.  If I knew how to post pics I'd show one.

Chad

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Ian, they are Bodkin heads that I have had lying around the house for a few decades.  I think you can still get them.  I snub the nose off and add a few cuts out of the blade to keep them from sneaking under leaves so easily.  Nothin' fancy.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
it depends greatly.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »

Here ya go, Yolla Bolly. Hope this helps. Sharpened wingnuts are one of my favorite types of small game tips...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Judos do the job for me.  I won't say I've never lost one, but it's a rare event.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks Chris, I was hoping someone would post a pict of one. Shawn
Shawn

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Does the wood arrow/wingnut combo have a tendency to split the shaft with it sticking out like that or drive the wingnut down the shaft
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
It does seem to break (the shaft) behind the end of the wingnut with hard hits when I'm out stumping, but then again, what doesn't?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
If I hunted only grey squirrels, I would probably use more blunts or game nabbers. With the larger fox squirrels, my favorite is also a blunt with a small triangle blade soldered or glued into a cut in the end of the blunt.  Even a field point has the advantage of at least staying in the squirrel while a blunt will usually fall out. If the arrow stays in the squirrel, of course you will have a better chance of getting it and it not running off wounded.  Squirrels are unbelievably tough.

Offline trad kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
i use game nabers because the hit hard penatrate and slice witch wors well on tough squirls

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Figured I'd post these in case some of the folks interested in the sharpened wingnuts shoot carbons/aluminums...

Top point is a sharpened 5/16" wingnut with a 125-grain target point. The bottom one is a sharpened 1/4" wingnut with a 1" 8/32 machine screw (which, according to woodchucker, comes in at an ideal 125 grains total.)
*Just a side note, I only use the bottom setup if I know I won't be stumping as I hunt (rarely ever). That machine screw has a tendancy to bend with only moderately hard hits...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
For you guys that shoot broadheads at squirrels - am I right in assuming you are only shooting them on the ground?  

I can't see shooting a broadhead at a squirrel 20' up an oak - wouldn't you be likely to lose the arrow, head, squirrel and all up the tree?  But if I'm wrong about that, I'd love to understand your strategy.  :-)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Squirrels are tough! Use exploding heads!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
Hex Head by ACE for the trees...and Bhead on the ground.

Those wing nut heads might work as well, but I've never tried them.  They look like they would do much better than regular nuts...course that wouldn't take much.

Regular nutters don't work very well on small game.  Worse blunt I've ever used or witnessed.  Seen more rabbits run off from killing shots that I cared to see, frog swimming off with a nutted arrow, and I remember shooting them nut heads with Doug Campbell out of a 69# recurve he had....and I had a half dozen or so gofers run back in their hole after being pummeled squarely.  We both gave up on them after that day. They just don't kill at a high percentage at all.

Charlie Lamb experimented with those back in 48, and if they worked he'd still be using them.  It was cool looking through his barrel of odds and ends dating back decades.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »

The one on the left is a blunt that has the back end flared out some & work great on cottontails around here,blunts are gonna shoot through em anyway might as well cut some tissue going in.
The one on he right is a small game nabber & works great on treerats & usually won't stick in a tree(notice I said usaully)you can do a field point the same way as the blunt pictured above & makes a good squirrel head & are cheaper than the nabbers.
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©