INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Polar... value?  (Read 361 times)

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Polar... value?
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I have a Bear Polar which according to the Polar I.D. guide (very helpful by the way) is a 1954. I was considering offering it up for sale or trade and I am wondering what the real world value of the bow would be. It is 64" long, 67# draw and in very good-excellent condition.

No stress lines, appears to be the original leather grip in good condition, logo in great shape, just a nice bow. I string it up and shoot it from time to time and it shoots nice. The only flaw is a nick on the back glass of the bow, looks like someone dinged it with a broadhead while out hunting with it sometime in the last 56 years.

What would this bow be worth? It looks nice on my wall but I have my eye on a couple bows...
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Polar... value?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
The used bow market is rather soft at the moment, but a collector who needs such a speciman would most likely pay $150-$250.  Obviously, the better the condition the more you can get.

"1954 - 64" and 68", red glass, dual shelves on a saddle grip. This is the last year the Polar was a simple reflexed longbow."

I picked up a 1953 Polar a few weeks ago in original and excellent condition for $140.

Can you post pics for us?
Lon Scott

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
The early Polars generally top out at $150 if in good condition.  Yours might go for a little higher based on the higher draw weight.  My real nice '54 was $150 shipped and I considered that on the high end, but a fair price for the condition.  Most of my 50's Polars (and I've owned a few  :) ) were purchased for $40-80 +shipping.

It's not until you hit the '59 Polar that the price range starts to go up.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Here are some pictures. They're not the greatest quality, but it's dark outside and really cold so they were the best I could get.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

"Aim small, miss small"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
My wolf can't ever have a camera around without getting in front of it and posing, so she had to get in on the last pic.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline calina

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by machomanandysavage:
I have a Bear Polar which according to the Polar I.D. guide (very helpful by the way) is a 1954.
Hi,

I have tried to  find the "Polar I.D. guide" to no avail. What is it? Do you have a reference or a URL?

Thank you.

Offline calina

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
I read Jeremy's thread:
"Early Bear Polar Identification Guide 1950-1961"
but mine is from a later year. It is a 64" 30#
white fiberglass with black and white small pointed tips and a bear flat gold button serial# is jn322. The riser is of a dark brown wood, I think it is rosewood.. I think it was built between 1963 and 1970 but I would like to get a better estimate.  

Also is there a way to bring the color back, it has turned into a light yellow over the years.

Offline calina

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
I Have been doing some more research and found this site (thread)  http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/Collector/beararchery/

Am I correct to assume that my Polar bow was built in 1963 or 1964?
If it was from 1965 to 1969 the serial number would start with the last digit of the year, if it was from 1970 the serial number would start with a K, if it was built before 1963 the coin wouls not be brass. Can somebody confirm or not my assumptions?

Thank you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©