INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kodiak hunter  (Read 343 times)

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
Kodiak hunter
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
I have a Kodiak Hunter,73-76ish I think  (Green,raised coin, serial number beginning with kt).  I always liked the 70's bows since they were what people were using when I was a kid.  Anyway, this is really a great shooter.  Out of my "collection" which only consists of 2 grizzley's and 1 Martin not counting my wife's Martin Rebel, this is now my favorite shooter.

I have a couple of questions since I am using her as my go-to bow now. I don't want to restore it, but I don't want it to get in any worse condition.
  The top limb does have a slight twist which doesn't hurt in its shootability.  I've read about putting the limb in hot bath water and twisting it back and then putting it in cold water.  On a slight twist, should I do this or what would happen if I just left it with the slight twist?  Would it get worse, or reset itself?
 Another question is it has a couple of places on the limbs where it has some spots or flaking in what looks like the clear finish.  The area might be the size of a quarter with a few spots in the area.  Again, I don't look to restore it, but don't want the area to get  worse.  Should I touch them up with anything or will they be okay left alone?  They make an auto touch up in the pen that is pretty much a perfect match.
  The bow has sentimental value since my wife and kids got it for me, but they don't want it to hang on the rack, they want to see hunt with the bow they bought me, so  it's important that I make sure it grows old gracefully  :)

Offline Jeeps84

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kodiak hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
If it has a slight twist what i have done is unstring it hold it by the handle and limb and twist in the oposite direction without the water treatment. keep working it a while string it and see how that is it might take a few times but i think using the hot water should be just for bad twists because you could get it to twist the other way on you.they are very easy to twist when warm!!I have bought a bunch of bows with twists and fixed them that way.
                  Jeeps

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Johnny, I would not submerge a bow in water that has finish flaking off!! The water dan soak into the Maple lams and swell it and cause all sorts of havoc.

You can straighten the limb by just twisting it the opposite direction of the current twist. Just do it a couple times and it should help the situation. If it doesn't effect the shootability as it is you could just leave it as is.

Where the finish is flaking, you could take some 220 grit sand paper, lightly sand the area, then take wipe on poly or Tru-oil gun stock finish and wipe a couple coats on it . When it has cured a couple days, buff it out with steel wool to match the sheen on the rest of the bow, give a good coat of your favorite car wax and you should be able to hunt with it until your kids make you a Grampa. good luck with it.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Thanks,
I think I'll just twist like mentioned without the hot water.  I'll just twist a little everytime before I shoot until I get it where it needs.
I forgot to ask, what is the correct Brace Height on a 73-76 Kodiak Hunter 60 inch bow?

Thanks again.

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Johnny m Kodiak Hunter seems to like around 8"

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I dont know anything really about tuning but i like 7 3/8 on about everything. PS do fix the twist one way or another. Jim

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Good article in TBM a couple of issues ago about fixing a twist with warm tap water. Wouldn't need to submerge your bow. I've used this method before and it works. I have a 76 Kodiak Hunter that the serial number starts with a KT. Don't think that helps with the exact year though. If yours has white overlays on the back of the handle most likely it is pre 76. Mine has green overlays which I was told were not available before a period in 76.
Jack Shanks

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Thanks on the brace height info.
I about have the twist out.  I've just been twisting it a little in the opposite way for about 20 seconds before stringing and shooting.
When I shot it yesterday, it was barely there so I'm thinking 1 more twist will probably do.
thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©