INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shooting older bows in cold  (Read 359 times)

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting older bows in cold
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm from Arkansas and we're not used to single digits.  I shoot or hunt at least 5 evenings a week.  I read somewhere in one of my bowhunting books that extreme cold  can be tough on older glass lam bows?  Should I leave my older grizzly and K hunter in the house in real cold weather and use my newer grizz, or do you guys up north not consider single digits too cold for older bows   :)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting older bows in cold
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Johnny, I've hunted in some pretty cold conditions with my one-piece Bears- all forty years old plus or minus a year or two- and haven't had any problems. I've always worried more about extreme heat. Having said that, bows are like anything else in my experience in that they have a finite lifespan and any shot could be the last. Probably even more true with our "oldies". I'd hate to be the guy who told you not to sweat it right before one of your old favorites gave up the ghost. I will say we're having the same weather here in KY and I'll hunt with my '70 Super Kodiak this week. Maybe someone more confident giving advice will chime in pretty soon. For now I'd say, if you are really worried, don't do it. Nobody wants to hunt and worry at the same time. Good luck, stay warm.  Grant

Offline chris amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I've been shooting my 72 super all winter in temps below freezing, usually for no more than an hour but haven't had any problems, never thought about it. Might be a different story in a hunting situation where we are talking about hours and hours though.
Don't take life too seriously you'll never make it out alive. Van Wilder
67 Super Kodiak 45#

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I've never had a problem.I hunt michigan and ohio.temps can get real cold.

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
I shot my '58 Alaskan about 30 shots at 6 degrees the other day and had no problems but it was only outside for about 20 minutes or so. I was more concerned with the temperature change going from inside to outside than actually shooting it.
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
I hunt below -30 on a fairly regular basis and have never had any issues with my "older" bows.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I've always wondered if there's a risk of delaminating too but then I've always shot them in the cold anyway. It gets cold here, 0 temps common.  No problem thus far.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©