INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Anybody ID this Hoyt riser?  (Read 398 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anybody ID this Hoyt riser?
« on: January 11, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/rustycraine/dryadbestold.jpg  

The limbs are our new longbow ILFs.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody ID this Hoyt riser?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Mike,

From the photo, looks like a Hoyt Pro Medalist T/D handle, a product of the 1970's. The handle were made in three lenghts 16", 20" and 24"; I have one of each. Yours should be the 16", ID by the broadhead cut-out in the front of the handle. The 20" and 24" do not have the cut-out.

Also, the 20" and 24" handle used a  snap-in plastic grip in the handle, the 16" did not accept the grips. There were three grips; low, medium and high wrist.

Limbs came in short, medium and long lenght, you could make up bows in lenght from 58" to 70".

The 16" handle was the hunting handle.

I have a copy of the instructions sheet, that came with the Pro Medalist; if you would like a copy, let me know. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Dennis,

Do you have any idea on the year?

Rusty has this riser and it's a dandy.  Wouldn't mind finding one at the right price.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Mike,

The best of my memory, the Pro Medalist T/D (metal handles) came on the market in 1970/71 and continued thru the seventy's, eighty's, up until Earl Hoyt sold the company to Easton. The 16" handle went away and the design changed on the 20" and 24". The 24" handle was the one used by the Olympic archers.

This was Hoyt country, in this part of NC; Buddy Graham of Graham Archery, in Statesville was the southeast dist for Hoyt (also Bear and Easton).

I may be able to find you an handle/bow when the traditional shoots start this Spring.

Dennis

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
It is a very pleasant shape bow. Whatever it is I dont ever remember seeing longbow limbs on something like this. Jim

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Jim,

Yep Longbow ILF limbs are pretty new in the marketplace.  We got ours out for order on the 3rd of this month.  Already have a pretty big list.  LOL

This riser is Rusty's and the limbs on it are our prototype shorts.  45@ 28  61" ntn as it sits.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Hoyt Pro Medalist Hunter T/D -Lightweieght Magnesium handle w/ recess for broadhead overdraw-was first production metal handle for Hoyt  Approx 1970....Curt

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
Mike,
Sent you a PM.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
If your left handed forget this riser. They only made right handed one's. I tried to find one for several years and when I ask Earl he informed me there are none.  

"[dntthnk]"
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I have a left handed one.
Sand cast by my father inlaw in about 1972 because he couldn't get a lefty.
Helps when your an enginerr/tool maker by trade I guess.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline blackfeather44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
I have two of these risers, with 3 sets of limbs, 47#, 54#, and 61#, plus the original Hoyt leather case.  Haven't advertised them, but will consider selling them.  Email at [email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©