INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Later Bear T/D questions  (Read 442 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Later Bear T/D questions
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
There's a fair amount of info out on the early 69-72 Bear T/D bows.  Can anyone elaborate a little on those that have come out since?  I believe the green stripe was an '80s bow.  What years in the 80s? Into the90s?  How is it different from those built in the early '70s? There are also some TDs made in the early 2000s --A and B risers with just one limb length ( A) I think.  What years were those made? I know they have a laminated riser, and the limb tips are much heavier than earlier bows.  Any other differences? Any ideas as to how many of '80s and '00s bows were produced?  When did Bear start offering the Deluxe model in B riser  with A limbs?

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Later Bear T/D questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I have a 1980 Kodiak TD. Best shooting bow in the collection and my "go to" hunting bow. The fit and finish is exceptional, out standing balance and stability smooth drawing with very little hand shock for it's draw weight. I've shot older Kodiak TD, there are some slight differences in construction but they don't show up at all in performance. Mine has the original limbs and hunted all over north America and africa with it's previous owner, it looks brand new and I have zero complaints with it.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanks Grant.  I wasn't aware that the 80s models were produced in B riser lengths only.  That explains why I've never seen one of those in an A riser (my favorite length) come up for sale.  Also wasn't aware of the cast vs stamped hardware.  

I have a newer model A riser.  I haven't been able to come up with the price of a 69-71, and they're pretty rare to begin with.  Anyway, the laminated birch or maple on the newer models shouldn't have any strength problems, but there are two areas in which they might have improved it.  There is some sort of hard, flocked coating on the hinges.  Doesn't look that hot, and it flakes/chips off rather easily.  On my bow, one piece flaked off from what appears to be no more than just  shooting the bow.

I also find it interesting that Bear put a substantial radius on the arrow plate forward of the arrow rest, but almost none rear of the arrow rest, where it is most needed, IMO.  At least that's the way it is on the three newer risers that I've seen.  This is side-plate radius, not shelf radius.  Doesn't appear to be any shelf radius, but that's easily remedied with a little wedge under the shelf material.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Rick:  Now that I'm aware of the greater/exclusive availability of B riser in '80s models, I might have to give one a try.  Thanks for the testimonial.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
orion,i have a 90's A and  '71 A. the biggest difference (and there are a few differences) for me is the grip.the'71 has a beefier grip which feels much better to me...i had to wrap rubber tape on the 90s model to make it feel right.i agree with the "black chipping", though.Make no mistake ,those takedowns....any year ...are shooters,forgiving and stable and stood the test of time, and now with some aftermarket limbs ...lots of options.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Kuch:  I agree, they're certainly shooters.  Somehow I missed them when they came around the first time.  Yeah, I was shooting sticks in the 70s, primarily Wings.  I've been pleasantly surprised with the speed and moreso the stability of the newer takedowns that I have.  I tend to like small risers/grips so the newer may be a better fit for me.  Might have to try to pick up an older one just to make sure however.    ;)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Nice Rack, Felix! Usually I reserve that kind of comment for Hooters, LOL. I agree about the green stripers, a very underated bow in its time, IMO.  Grant

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Yes Grant,like you I love the original ones,but the very second choice and best buying are the early 80s risers perfect in any aspect.Like you, I prefere the B riser as a more accurate and forgiving handle;with the A best looker,but Fred always used the B for a reason,he was a wise man in any aspect.I agree with you once again about the Hooters,I remember in Denver.......
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
i must admit ,i have never had the opportunity to shoot a B riser,only the A's.i really cant' imagine the B being more foregiving...i know bigger riser/longer bow =more forgiving, but i shoot my 56" A better than my 60" custom.i'd still love to try the B ,just need to find someone with all the different years and models  lined up and ready for me to test drive ....like  a car dealership!!!maybe felix can fly to west by god virginia with all his bears????

Offline TLANE

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I've owned alot of bows over the the last 11 years and there is only one that I keep going back to....it's a newer A riser with a set of older #2 limbs.  I've owned 3 of the 80's B risers and several of the Mag risers but that little A just does something for me!  I'll never get rid of it!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Kuch,I used to hunt with a couple of friend from Wheeling,WV.But you have to wait till the next season;if you really want to try one let me know I manage to do something.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
The observations are accurate, in my experience. I have two mag-A takedowns (early 1970s), one green-stripe B from the early 1980s, and a modern A riser (from the early 2000s) with fast flight limbs.

There is nothing like the smoothness of a Bear takedown. All 4 of my takedowns are smooth and accurate.

I agree with the observation about the modern A riser. It is very nice, and has all of the strength advantages of a laminated riser. It fits my hand perfectly. I picked up an SBD bowstring for the modern A with fastflight limbs -- WOW, very fast and silent.

Bear TDs are great bows -- no matter what era they are from. The earlier wood-riser ones are more valuable and scarce, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Felix, that is a great looking collection.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Thanks Joe,tomorrow I will post some pics of my Signature,it is a really outstanding bow a real pearl.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Grant, yeah,i'm happy with the limbs.I..or rather my son...has a set of RER coming.Kevin at RER makes the 58" limbs on an A riser so i figured those would be good formy son....I've only read good things about both .It's pretty awesome there are bowyers willing to commit to making high performance limbs for these risers.So many options ,exotic woods,lengths, all for a stable riser that needs no tools to change limbs.
'

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Chad, sent you pm about limbs.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement