INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Refinishing questions  (Read 331 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Refinishing questions
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
In the past, I've used Deft spray urathane to finish and refinish bows.  More recently, I've used Helmsman spar urathane.  Neither is a particularly hard finish, and both, particularly the Helmsman, tend to yellow over time.  The advantages is that they're readily available at hardware stores and they're relative inexpensive.  

However, there are apparently better bow finishes out there.  Might you be able to tell me what some of them are, and how they are applied.  Does one need an air brush/small paint sprayer to apply them?  If so, would appreciate the name brand of a few of them.  Thanks.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Orion, I think Thunderbird epoxy is an extremely durable finish. Small airbrush works great.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
TRU Oil works great-wipe it on.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I've used Tru oil on gun stocks and risers, and it does work well.  Does tend to be a little shiny, even after rubbing with rottenstone and the Tru oil product that's suppose to reduce the shine.  Good finish though.

4runr.  I've never used an airbrush.  Epoxy is a two part mixture, right.  Any problems with cleaning the nozzel?  Does one need some sort of compressor as well.  Is Thunderbird similar to Smooth On, which I recognize by name but know nothing about.  Any recommendations as to sources for air brushes/compressors?

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
You should be able to find an inexpensive airbrush and small compressor locally at a Sherwinn Williams paint center or similar. Thunderbird will clean up easly with Acetone, I also thin it for spraying with Acetone. I also have a canister sprayer I picked up at the local Hardware store. It cost me around 9 bucks. It has a glass jar with a replaceable propellant canister. It doesn't spray as well as airbrush, but it does a satisfactory job. Thin, misty coats results in a matte finish.

I only mix very small amounts of Tbird as it goes a long way. The tbird is two part. I mix a 1 to one of the two parts, let set for 15 min than add an equal amount of Acetone, mix well let stand a couple minutes, remix, then spray a thin coat, wait 15 minutes, spray another thin coat. You may have to clean the nozle of the gun between coats, but if you keep the jar closed you should be able to use the same mixture for a number of coats. I've had to do some trial and error, but this works for me.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks, 4runr.  Think I'll be making a visit to my local paint store.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©