INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: why do production bows get a bad rap?  (Read 371 times)

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
why do production bows get a bad rap?
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
This might not necessarily fit here in the history/collecting, but it kind of does.
  But anytime you see a thread where someone wants to try a bow that was made by a company that mass produces bows and wants an opinion of a particular model, the thread usually gets taken over by posts where several people suggest that, "for x amount more, you could buy a x brand custom bow by a certain bowyer.    If you were going to buy a new car, I'd think a person would want to buy a car from an auto manufacturer Chevy, Ford, GM, Toyota etc.(maybe not good examples) a big name manufacturer rather than some individual who might not be around next year.
  I'm not knocking anyone's  custom bows, its just that That's kind of the point of a production bow, you often get more bow without paying more.  That's why Bear, Martin, etc. have been around so long.
I'll get off my soap box, you can tell I've been lured by a custom bow in the past  :o

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why do production bows get a bad rap?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Probably the biggest differences between contemporary production bows and custom bows is fit and finish, exotic woods used, and handwork.  All of this adds up to higher price.  The custom bow may not perform better but looks nicer to the owner.

Same deal with custom knives.  They probably don't cut better but are prettier and lots of handwork going on.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Let me start by saying I only have one custom bow and it's by a little known or unknown bowyer out of alabama,the rest of my bow wall is bears,pearsons,blackhawks,brownings etc. but the man who built my bow had me come by his house several times during the build,and it is a true custom fit for me in poundage,grip,shooting style at the time,etc. also a friend of mine was shooting a bob lee take down and his wife got him a gift certificate for a black widow,he sent them the riser of the bob lee and said "I want this grip on my bow" I'm not sure you could do that with a production bow,not knocking them at all,I have one custom out of 30 bows,but you know how important over all fit is and I guess some people are very particular in this area and no matter the high quality of manufacture it's one of those I really like it I just can't shoot it cases.Sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest difference.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
MY PERSONAL OPINION-

As a guy who thought he'd be sticking with vintage/production bows,let me say that was until I shot a modern custom bow.

I'd rather be able to use FF unquestionably,and have a bow that fits me.

I've shot many of both worlds.Vintage production is way better than modern production,but custom always wins in my book.

YMMV
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline MattR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
IMO someone just starting out generally will not either have the money or the will to invest in a custom bow until they have made some improvement and decided they want to progress. Off-the-shelf production bows provide a level of quality and reliability commensurate with ability and investment. Sure...there are those beginners who go for an expensive custom bow straight off but the majority of us invest in better bows as we become more competent. A custom bow is aspirational and is an incentive to improve further. I love my ACS, I'm having another made by Rick Welch however I have worked hard to feel I have earned it. Both types compliment each other and should be viewed simply as providing the tools to allow all of us to go shooting.
A&H ACS CX Ebony JK, AMO 64 44#
English longbow (scourge of the French!).

Even monkeys fall from tree's.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm probably gonna regret saying anything, But...first, Josh and Rich are right in many respects. However, most of what I see labeled "custom" is really pretty much a stock design from a small, private operation. I agree than "old" production is often preferable to new production, but its largely a matter of avasilable materials. All of my personal bows are production bows from the 60s and 70s but they have all been altered considerably to suit my personal tastes. Any bow can be customized, but few are really built to exacting standards for any individual. If I buy a pair of "Dockers", and get them in my waist and inseam measurement and in the color I want, is that "custom"? Its an overworked word and I don't begrudge the money a bowyer gets for his work, most are terribly underpaid, but custom implies a degree of fitting that most companies, latge or small, can't or won't bother to deliver. As far as "production" bows go- in their heyday, the custom shops of Bear and Pearson were as busy as any departments in their respective companies. We are a gullible bunch, by and large, but saying something's so doesn't make it so. I've listened to too many bowyers tell me that what I wanted wasn't what I wanted and if I'd change my mindset they would build me the perfect bow. That ain't custom. Grant

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I think that Grant has hit it on the head with his discussion of "custom". Today it mainly refers to the options that you can get; grip style, woods, length, etc. It is the rare bowyer who will build a bow based on YOUR design.

Fred Bear came up with the concept that many custom bowyers use today when he developed his latch based takedown system. You could pick your draw weight, limb length, your riser length, and your grip style (at least on the metal risers). That gave you 27 options for each draw weight adn gave you the closest thing to a custom bow you could get from a production bowyer.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Glad someone else bit on this one Larry. Can you imagine what a current "custom" with the Brazilian Rosewood used in a '62 production bow would go for? Wow- I'd have to sell a kidney, LOL.   GY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©