INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: quieting a noisy bow  (Read 365 times)

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
quieting a noisy bow
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I have an older Howatt/Martin that I can't get to quiet down.  I have the proper weight arrows,  I have cat whiskers on the strings, but the problem seems to be more from the upper limb tip.  I've have felt string groove silencers on it as well and have tried brush buttons up high against the limbs to see if it would help.  
  I've tried the brace height from lowest to highest.  I almost think the problem is from the upper string loop being large and falling more in the beginning of the string groove.
  When I twisted my string I twisted from the top. I was wondering if I untwist the string, and then retwist from the bottom, will this make my upper loop fall into place on the limb tips?
   It's really a sweet shooting bow except for the noise. The wife said it sounded like I was outside hammering T-posts in the ground when I was shooting  :(  
  It is in new condition hardly shot before and the original string.
Thanks in advance

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quieting a noisy bow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Are yyou absolutely sure it is bow string noise?  Sometimes it can be arrow slap as the shaft passes the riser.  You could try several different arrows of differing spines to see if a softer spined arrow would give more clearance.  At least that would eliminate that possibility.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
What's your brace height?  My Howatt Super Diablo was buzzing pretty good until I hit 8" and then it was fine.  You should be twisting from the lower loop only incidently.

If the loops are noisy wrap wool yarn around them where they touch the limb.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I concur with these guys, I have several howatts and right at around 8" things seem to quiet down nicely especially with the proper arrows.  Good luck.

Dave
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline chris amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Why the bottom loop only? What is the reason for this?
Don't take life too seriously you'll never make it out alive. Van Wilder
67 Super Kodiak 45#

Offline macclare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
Raineman"s advise is good

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks,
The string, rest/plate is original to bow but in new condition bear hair type.  Its an older bow, but not that much older.  String has been stretched, nock is correct and I shoot fingers 1 over 2 under and its not a loose point. The Brace is at 8.  When I got it, the string didn't have any twist to it and I thin I started with a brace height around 6 3/4.  I've left it strung for a week and waxed it.
  The only thing is I'm not sure about the spine of the arrow.  My arrows were what I was set up with at an archery shop with my first bow.  My others bows have all been in the same weight range (45-50 lb) and used the same brace height.  The Howatt may be different? But it does fall into the same draw length and weight as my Bears.  I think I need to trade it for another Bear!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
chris,
I lay the bow down on my picnic bench, slide the upper loop down the limb so you create enough slack in the string to remove the lower loop, undo the lower loop without letting it go and count your twists accurately.  All of this takes two hands on the string (at least for me). Replace lower loop and restring.  I don't know how you'd do it any other way without a lot of fumbling around.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline chris amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Ok cool, that makes sense, I didn't know. Sometimes its little things like that that make a huge difference. Thanks for the clarification.
Don't take life too seriously you'll never make it out alive. Van Wilder
67 Super Kodiak 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©