INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear treestand?  (Read 652 times)

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear treestand?
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
When was they made,I'v got a Bear chain-on stand   When were they made.   Thanks    :D  TJ  :D
These er jus da ramblin's of a Huntahaulic

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear treestand?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
don't think they'r all that ole,Only one i'v ever saw. Platform is fiberglass.   thanks   TJ
These er jus da ramblin's of a Huntahaulic

Offline ses

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
man i miss the 70s i had a fairlane
if a man is alone in the woods and no woman can hear him is still wrong?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Late seventies I believe. I've got one but it's out back in the pole barn and I will need to dig it out. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow.
Jack Shanks

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Geez, Richard....I'm having a hard time picturing that...lol
Tom i.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I bought one new in 1975.The platform was injection molded ABS plastic.I don't know if you guys remember how that stand was designed to be put up in the tree,but you hooked a chain around the tree,with the platform flat against the tree trunk.The chain ran through several short pieces of plastic pipe which acted as rollers.

There was a sectional,aluminum pole that you hooked underneath the platform and it was used to slide the platform up the trunk of a tree.There could be no limbs.

Now,off the front of the platform was a rope ladder-poly rope and oak rungs.The trick was to use the pole to slide the platform up the tree trunk till it was at the height you wanted it,then pull down the front of the platform,by pulling the rope ladder.

The platform had 2 tubular braces angling down from the front of the platform and where they met at the tree trunk,they had 2 flat metal points that bit into the tree.

Now that yor treestand is erected,you just climbed the rope ladder.It was kind of a Tarzan act.I was in the best shape of my life then and it was a little bit of a feat then,to get up that swinging rope ladder.It was noisy getting that thing up a tree too.

As crazy as that setup was,when you got that platform locked in position,it was like standing on a concrete slab.It was totally rigid,no squeaks and felt very strong.Not a bad hang on stand if you threw away the rope ladder and the aluminum pole and then used tree steps to get up the tree.

It is dangerous for me to trust memory but I am pretty sure that was 1975 and that I bought it the first year they came out.I believe the entire setup weighed 14 or 14.5 lbs.I don't know how long they were sold.Probably not long.I must have given mine away.I hope the person is still alive.

I sure wish I had a picture of it or better yet,a video of the whole process.It had to be a sight to behold.Despite all the noise and commotion putting it up,I did kill a few deer from it and quite a ways from the truck.

Oh,and forgot to mention,the top surface had little,pointed cones molded into it so your feet wouldn't slip if the platform was wet.The cones were maybe 1/8" high and actually worked.

I wish

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
OK,so much for memory.I told you.I knew the bow I was using was bought in 1975 but I used it for 3 seasons.The 7900 New Fred Bear Converta Tree Stand was listed in the 1977 catalog but no longer in 1978.

This may not be clear but you can see the chain with rollers,the rope ladder on the front of the platform and the 3 section pole,laying in front of the stand.What I forgot was,the platform had 4 oblong holes,which were handholds to pull yourself onto the platform,from the rope ladder.Any guesses why they quit selling this setup?!!!

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Yup, that's the one I have. For some reason I'm having trouble uploading my pictures on photobucket today.

My brother in law's father, Carol Wert was the camp cook at Grouse Haven while Fred had guest hunting there. Fred gave the stand to Carol one year and I have had it the last 25 years or so after my brother in law gave it to me.
Jack Shanks

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I never bought one because you had to be one of the Flying Wallendas to use it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Jack,that's a great story.

reddogge,you are exactly right.it was like something they put boot camp trainees through.

I later made a mini version of the stand,without ladder,to use as a hang on,for my backpack trips.I called it my postage stamp stand.It was much smaller than a Windwalker and probably weighed 4-5 lbs,but it worked and I lived to tell about it.The platform was maybe 12"X14" tops and was made of aluminum parts and a plywood platform.No seat on those stands though.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
I posted this one here before but it's my first tree stand from 1967, a Dan Quillian.  I used pole climber spikes and belt to install it.  What a death trap.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Sorry I didn't get these pictures posted yesterday I was having trouble uploading them into photobucket.

Jim, My brother in law invited me to join his family for a week of hunting at Grouse Haven one year but I couldn't get the time off from work. I not only missed the opportunity to share camp with them but Fred Bear would have been in camp then also.

Jack Shanks

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Sorry you didn't get to make that trip.Great stories though.

This thread has brought back some memories for me.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Here is a Stand that I am getting from the same person I am also getting one of Fred's Puma's from. I will just quote what he wrote to me.

"Here is the story I bought it at their garage sale. Mrs Bear said Fred had it made for him. he was having dinner with his daughter in town and I never got more information. I put a larger plywood sheet on it when I used it for two seasons."

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
...and the Fred Bear Museum continues to grow at the Reed residence.

BTW, that's a nice piece of history.  It seems we do not hear much about Fred using treestands.
Lon Scott

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
I had the good fortune to hunt at Grouse Haven in 1986. Fred Bear was at camp with us, but only hunted one evening. The stands we used were the Converta Tree Stands. We used tree steps instead of the rope ladder. Small and very sturdy!

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
I can't believe I remembered this **** message from over a year ago. I have written to him and sent pictures of the stand. Not saying it is the exact one but it could be.   Dear mrgq041276,

MY BEST FRIEND AND I MADE A TREE STAND FOR FRED BEAR IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES
AND I HAVE 6 AUTOGRAPHED 8X10'S SIGNED GOOD HUNTING MIKE KELLEY.....FRED
BEAR

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
I can't believe I remembered this **** message from over a year ago. I have written to him and sent pictures of the stand. Not saying it is the exact one but it could be.   Dear mrgq041276,

MY BEST FRIEND AND I MADE A TREE STAND FOR FRED BEAR IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES
AND I HAVE 6 AUTOGRAPHED 8X10'S SIGNED GOOD HUNTING MIKE KELLEY.....FRED
BEAR

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Shane - Imagine balancing on this with size 14 boots on!

Made me think of this story John K  (aka Johnnyrazorhead) posted a few years ago:

I was told a story about Fred from a woman that worked in the leather dept.  They were in an area of the plant where some of the offices are simply partitioned walls,no individual rooms.  Not much privacy.

She was with some other ladies talking shop when the conversation turned to the size of a man's package in relation to the size of his shoes.  One of the ladies in the group mentioned the fact that Fred had very large feet(size 14).

As they all giggled she said she looked up and there was Fred smiling at her.  She was mortified and totally embarrassed.  The next day they found that Fred had put one of his shoes on the desk in their area.

I still laugh when I think of this story and the 80 year old woman telling it to me.  Fred had quite a sense of humor.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Tony, that is a good story. Have a feeling I know who she is. Lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©