INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: bear ILF?  (Read 333 times)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
bear ILF?
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
did bear ever make an ILF riser ? i am not a bear historian ,but just wondering.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear ILF?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
There are tons of old Bear compound risers converted to use ILF fittings, but I don't recall Bear making an ILF riser.  I don't have access to all the catalogs though.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline missagain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
what jeremy said ,find you an old bear compound and convert it.

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
The Formula line of bows were not ILF?
Lucas Kent

Offline Ron Bushong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
No, the Formula Gold and Formula Silver bows were not ILF.  They had a threaded fitting similar to the DAS bushing (where the standard dovetail fitting is located in an ILF limb), but they did not have an ILF-type cutout at the base of the limb to fit around the limb bolt.  Instead, they had a small metal bushing located at the end of the limb that accepted the tapered end of an internal limb alignment and adjustment bolt that was used to keep the limb aligned and to adjust tiller.  There was no lateral limb adjustment on the Formula bows.  This proprietary system was the closest that Bear ever came to the "ILF" style system.  The following pics show the limb attachement system on the Bear Formula Gold.
RB

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
ron, what years were the Formula's made?I guess what is in the back of my mind is "why aren't there more 3-piece 'systems' that don't require tools to change limbs?" the bear takedown and ILF are the only ones i am aware of. the simplicity and efficiency of those designs ,i would think ,would drive more to be developed?again just wondering @6AM.

Offline Ron Bushong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
kuch,
The Formula bows were from the early 1980's.  They were listed in catalogs and advertisements from at least 1980 thru 1982.  They shot OK, but I don't remember them being a real big hit.
Black Widow also made nice metal-riser takedowns that did not require tools to assemble or disassemble.  The limbs on my model 1300 bolt on with two bolts per limb, but the bolts have knurled knobs that you can tighten or loosen by hand.  They are nice shooters too.
RB

Offline chris amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Is your "1300" a black widow? Would you mind posting a pic? I'd really like to see it.
Don't take life too seriously you'll never make it out alive. Van Wilder
67 Super Kodiak 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©