INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The "A" Mag Refinish  (Read 1637 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The "A" Mag Refinish
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I refinished my old Magnesium handle TD that I bought in 1972.A long time ago,I had to sandblast all the old flocking off and camo painted it.I have redone the camo 2 more times since then.I had used regular primer before and it held well but sometimes the paint wore through a tiny bit on the corners.

I decided I was tired of the camo and would give it another face lift.

I researched prepping magnesium for painting,till my head hurt.A common primer seems to be zinc chromate but it is seriously hazardous.Other regimens were way too complicated for me.Zinc phosphate was recommended as an alternative that is less hazardous so I tried it.

The paint I chose was a Multi Textured paint by Rustoleum,formulated for outdoor,metal patio furniture.

I can't make any claims how this stuff will hold up as it is fairly new to me.Only time will tell.I had painted a Windwalker treestand with the Multi Textured paint and the stuff seems pretty tough.If anything,I think a brief spritz on any dings at the end of the season would do it.

Here is the paint.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "A" Mag Refinish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I cleaned the riser down to the bare metal,first with a stripper,flushed and used Scotch Brite and I mean got into every crease and crevice and primed it immediately-2 coats.

The primer comes in green or yellow.I chose green.The cap shows the color.The Multi Textured paint I chose was tan.They also make white,2 shades of brown,black,dark green and a couple others.

This Multi Textured paint lets some color through from underneath so I tested it over the primer first and liked the color.

I waited at least 24 hours after priming to paint and did 2 coats of the Multi Texture.

I had also refinished the #1 white tip limbs prior.After getting the old camo off them,the old finish was funky but the glass was in excellent shape with no stress cracks.One slikscreen was worn so I got a set from Al H and replaced both.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I forgot to mention that some years ago I had filled in the sight and side plate channel and could have restored that but had given the plate to a friend and decided to leave it at is.

I don't know what to call this color but you can see,it isn't tan.Maybe Tundra Gray?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
I really liked the way the bow turned out except it was naked.

I wanted a 5 arrow bow quiver that would match.A while back I made a form for a compact quiver hood.I wanted the shape to look like the Bear quiver hoods but be long enough to put Grizzly El Grandes in it.I tried to keep the size as close to a 4 arrow quiver hood as possible but made it 3 1/4" tall.

I used this form to make a fiberglass hood,using fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin and painted it just like the bow.

I really like the Great Northern gripper so got one of those with the mid-sized holes and figured how to attach it to a center shaft from an old Delta bolt on.

I then attached the other of the shaft in the hood and made a longer lower arm to angle the quiver like I wanted.

I like the way it turned out.It is sturdy,quiet,weighs 7 oz. and the gripper does what it is supposed to do.

I hate bow quivers that set out away from the bow or put the fletched end way forward of the lower bow tip.

The hood on this one is about 1/8" off the riser and the forward arrows nock end is just back of the lower bow tip and the lower limb just clears the fletching when drawn.

I also like the hood to not protrude past the riser much as this just creates a place for brush to hang up.Setup like this it is about as stream lined as I know how to get it for moving through stuff like that.

The finished quiver.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Jim, excellent job and photos.  It's timely as I just picked up a  can of Rustoleum flat black textured.  I will look for the zinc phosphate primer as it makes a lot of sense.  Many thanks.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I have always loved this little bow but have to admit I have neglected it the last couple years.It deserved freshening up.I like this quiver better than anything I have had on it thus far.

Here it is,loaded for bear,or lion or .......

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Shick,there is a Textured and a Multi Textured.Check out the Multi Textured also.

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Nice job Jim.  I really like the quiver.  That is one good looking bow.
Al  :clapper:
Al's Decals

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
real nice.  :clapper:

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
Excellent job, Jim. If he was here today, Ol' Fred himself would want to market that color and quiver design....I'd bet on it!!   :thumbsup:

>>--Ron--<>
   :archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Beautiful job Jim!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
YOU DO SOME FINE WORK JIM. VERY NICE

Offline Gary Sewell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Did you round off the Magnesium arrow shelf? Bow looks great.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
great looking job bd

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
"Did you round off the Magnesium arrow shelf? Bow looks great."

It has been a long time since I first stripped it but I don't remember changing that radius.

"great looking job bd"

Thanks Bow Doc.Can you or anyone tell me the width of the little bears on the latches?Rear foot to nose? I ordered that bow and was disappointed when it came in without bears.All the ones before had them.I'd like to make a set.Might even put one on the quiver.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
If no one posts the dimensions of the bears before I get home this evening I can post them.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Boy it does look great, quiver too.
Interesting, the bow has no sight window cut out or hole for adjusting the arrow plate.
I guess I never noticed but I don't think I have seen one like that before. They weren't filled somewhere along the line where they?
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Jim,
Great job! Looks awesome... I have studied that exact paint a few weeks ago at Wally world. Where did you find the primer at? Were any of your screw holes effected by the paint?
Chris

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Earl,  I think he filled them in. Not sure how he did it but it looks great !
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©