3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is 50# enough for caribou  (Read 542 times)

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Is 50# enough for caribou
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I am going caribou hunting in September and will be taking my Hill Big 5 50#@28.  Do you guys think thats enough poundage or should I go more with a 60#, which means ordering a new Hill.  I'm just trying to get things lined out early.  Thanks

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is 50# enough for caribou
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
the guys at black widow have people shooting elk with 47# bows.  Elk are the same size or larger than caribou!

Offline Ken E.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
Tadpole,

I shot a caribou this year at 32 yards with a 52lb longbow of my own design.  Went through his shoulder blade and hit his off side shoulder.  I shoot two blade broadheads and arrow weight of 520 grains(front loaded carbon).  

Ken

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Tom,

never pass up the opportunity to order a new bow.
Shame on you!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
50# + Sharp Broadhead + good arrow flight + shot placement = Dead Caribou....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks guys, non-typical, I've not passed up ordering a new bow, I just ordered a new Hill redman 45@28, so I was thinking another one might be in the works.  Nothing like shooting Hill bows.  Can't wait for my trip.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
tadpole...I wouldn't order a 60#'er, I would opt maybe for 55 if I wanted heavier.  That ten pounds will seem like fifty at first.  By the way....50# is plenty for caribou.  You never need an excuse to buy a new bow, and you can always order a sixty pound down the road...when you become a frog 8^).

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, looks like 50# will work.  George, I don't know if I'll ever become a frog. Ha Ha

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Tadpole,

I have shot 4 so far. They are very thin skinned and light boned. Lighter built than white tails. The first one I shot, I shot with a Black Widow TFII, 44# at my draw with a 535 gr arrow. The arrow went through so fast, hit a rock on the other side and sailed high so quickly that I thought I'd shot over him. I didn't. Cut a rib on the way in and out. He is now resting on my wall. All 4 were shot with bows of 50# or less at my draw. Had pass throughs on all but 1. Shoot a good sharp 2 blade broadhead with some weight behind it and have fun. 50# is more than enough.

Offline Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
tadpole-I agree that 50# is plenty good, providing you have your arrows flying as good as possible and a good sharp broadhead. Where are you heading to for your trip? I've been a couple of times and it is a trip you won't forget! There is some video of my 2003 trip here on the tradgang under members video. It is listed under Bolin and Hammenstaffer and there is some other incredible video listed under Hammenstaffer. If you have any questions about our trip, or anyone elses, just ask away. The folks here have a bunch of knowledge and are more than glad to help out. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
I remember reading an Article,By Don Thomas,where he stated,Anything that can be used on Deer,will be good enough for Boo.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Mr. Bolin, we are going to Quebec, I'm not sure what location.  My buddy and I are going with our taxidermist, he has been going up there for the last 15 years or so.  Another fellow from Florida is going and he is a professional photographer.  I'm hoping for a nice trip, it will be my first time to Canada.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
rappstar, Caribou and Elk are two completely different creatures. If the guys at Black Widow are killing elk with a 47# bow, I feel that either says a lot about the BW, or a lot about the hunting prowess of the BW guys. Or both, of course. An elk is a very very tough creature and caribou(like jon says above)are more deerlike, they are a pretty delicate thing---what makes them so tough to hunt is their elusiveness and their awareness of their surroundings.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
right on jbiorn.  i have never hunted caribou, but i have hunted elk.  i shot an elk twice in the vitals with a .300 win mag at 200 yrds a few years ago and he still went another hundred yards or so.  i know an elk is one tough creature.

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
Tadpole,
 Check with your outfitter, I went in 04 and 06 both my outfitters required me to shoot a minimum of 60 pounds.. Just a thought.
Jason

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
I have shot four Caribou with a bow. All with a compound, 10 years ago, prior to my progression into traditional. All died very easily and quickly with well placed hits. They are much easier to kill than a whitetail. As long as they dont smell you or see you move, you can get very close. One of the guys in our group when asked how far he shot one of the bulls, replied- "I think the arrow was off the string when it hit him". My next trip to Quebec, I will take my 50 lb Whisperstik will full confidence in its effectiveness.
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
tadpole, I too went to Quebec for both of my trips....one in '99 and the other in '03. I killed both of my bulls in '03 with a recurve and my shots were right in the 20-25 yard range. I had other shots that would have been less, but for one reason or another, things didn't work out on those. Several were killed at less than 15 yards by other hunters in our camp. Feel free to drop me a pm or email if you have any questions. Check with your friend about who you are hunting with and let me know! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
I am glad someone said that Elk and caribou are not close in size. A big Bull of each species would have a weight difference of 200-300#s. I also believe 47#s is enough for Elk, ya just need to be close and take broadside ot better a quatering away shot. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
Shawn,
      A big Bull Caribou would be in the 250 + pound range a big Bull Elk would be in the 750 + pound range. Their is no comparison in size or toughness between these two animals.
     47 pounds for Elk is a whole nother story.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Tadpole,
I've taken three shots at two caribou.  The first one was at 30 yards.  The arrow passed though after the animal took about 3 steps where it fell out-he went about 20 yards and piled up dead.  The second shot was a pass through at 27 yards but a little back. He bedded down for a few minutes, when he got up I shot him again and the arrow lodged in his far side shoulder-he dropped on the spot.  I was shooting a 51 lb. Horne Recurve with 571 grain carbons.  Your set up is fine.  Properly tuned arrows and a sharp broadheads will be all you need.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©