INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Why?  (Read 516 times)

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
Why?
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
I was curious as to what started everyone collecting the things they do.
I collect Fox Bows Madew by the original owner Ron Fox. My reasoning was that When I bought a Ron Fox Longbow about 7 years ago I fell in love with the way it shot and how beautiful the bow was . I now own 7 of them and 1 more is on the way.So what got you started?
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Like you I think it starts wtih finding a style or bowyer that you really like. I'm not a big collector, other than in my waist size, but I fell in love with the lines of the '69 Super Kodiak and I've been a lover of Bear Bows since then.

Once you start to research and learn about a specific type of bow that tends to lead to learning about other similar bows and that leads to wanting to have some of them.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
As a teen in the early 60's, Bear Archery was at its pinnacle with the best looking bows on the market.  I could only afford an old used Ben Pearson, but sure wanted a Kodiak...and still wanting them 50 years later.
Lon Scott

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I started collecting the bows I shot or saw shot in the mid 60s to early 70s.  Kind of like going back to your roots.  Not all Bears but other brands too.
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline macclare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Fred Bear and Curt Gowdy ABC Wide world of sports. Fred shooting a polar bear, mule deer, grizzly. I went out a bought a used early 70's grizzly and never looked back.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Started in trad with the help of a Bear fan.  Also, I am originally from Michigan.  Finally, my wife bought me my first Trad bow - a 1959 Grizzly.  It would be hard to change with all of the above.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
I started by accident

I had a tournment bow, and a hunting bow from the 60's.

I found  a 62 Kodiak  Magnum in a pawn shop for fifteen bucks.  Then I found a 69 for twenty bucks.

My rule is that if you have more than two bows you are a collector.

Then I made the mistake of hanging around this place.

Downhill from there.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
before I give it up on how or why let me ask ya'all this how many of you have the first bow you ever got ? a stick with kite string and two sticks for arrows or a real sold in the store or by bowyer type bow ? lets see em.
I'll start looking for mine later this morning and then post a pic and short story bd

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Sadly my Ben Pearson lemonwood longbow from 1956 is long gone.  Where, I haven't a clue.
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I still have my original Ben Pearson #335 Jet.

I have now graduted to a Jack Howard GameMaster JET

Guess I'm  "JET SETTER"
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Doc, are you kidding?  My first bow was a Tennessee hickory stick that dad made for cane arrows.  It probably became kindling in a short time.

However, I still have my very first brand new bow...a bear Kodiak Hunter from 1971.
Lon Scott

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
I started buying vintage recurves because I couldn't (and still can't) afford the new ones.

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
thats great Shamus , I have always believed that pre-loved bows carry the good mojo from those who had them before. All my bows are second hand but the bowyer that made them retired so I ain't goona get a brand newie anytime soon.
 :)
I love Bowhunting!!!!

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
here is what I have so far .the onepiece recurve is still in transit and I have been told that Ron produced a Reverse handled longbow If anyone has heard or seen one of these or has old catalogues please let me know.

I love Bowhunting!!!!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
shamus, you are in good company. I haven't bought a new bow in let's see.......38 years!
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Trawling through the internet I came across this bow for sale. After checking that it was a Ron Fox creation I bought her into the collection. According to Ron King ( The current Owner of Fox Bows) This bow is very rare and was a Special custom style . It is All cocobollo so very solid in the hand with a beautiful grain. It has a wavy inlay down the front of the limbs and tapered laminations on the back of the limb Her specs are 66" 63#@29" and a sleeve T/D. It certainly spits an arrow LoL

So Its welcome to the family

There are only a few more bows to go to make the collection complete till then I just have to keep Hunting for them
I love Bowhunting!!!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »

I got this Ben Pearson Colt when I was fourteen. I still have it, and have a small collection of bows with similar riser styles. Herters, Damon Howatt, Bear, and more Pearsons. It is not easy for me to part with a bow with that shape.

This bow is still in transit, eh?

This is 1969. I still have this Green Fox fiberglass from Bear.

The bow I got at eight years broke.   :(
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
yes mate , it is in australia but when it gets to me is up to the god of international freight. LOL
I love Bowhunting!!!!

Offline ishi1archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
It all started for me when I met a new friend in the 3rd grade back in the 60's. He gave me his old fiberglass bow. I thought I dyed and went to heaven!! Back in those day we carried our bow everywhere and nobody even looked at you. How times have changed and not for the better. Anyway I've been addicted to collecting bows ever since. Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©