INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Anyone Familiar With Tice & Watts Recurves?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone Familiar With Tice & Watts Recurves?
« on: March 05, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
A nice lady stopped by the shop today. She said that her dad (Lovell Tice) was a bowyer in the 60's. He and someone by the name of Watts made bows under the name of "Tice & Watts". Her dad did most of the designing and building. He also was an engineer at NASA.

It sounds like he was active in designing bows at a time (just before the X bows) when bowyers were making a lot of improvements in traditional equipment. He died at the young age of 41 so he probably never reached his full potential.

Do any of you know anything about these bows or the company that made them? They were located in Alabama.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone Familiar With Tice & Watts Recurves?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
2fletch,
I don't know anything about them except wish I could find one.
From what I've heard they shoot better than they look.
I've seen 2 posted in the past 6 months and they were both a tad too heavy for me.
If you know Steve Smith, bearbowman, get in touch with him as he may be able to give you some insight.
I've heard they are fast and tough, and have been compared to the early Howatts and Red Wing Hunters.
I've recieved photos and really like the looks.
Sure wouldn't be afraid to try one if I could find the rifgt weight.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Fred, The lady said that she would bring a couple of his bows over to look at sometimes. I'm anxious to see them but I don't believe that she is interested in selling any of them.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Whether she would like to sell them is not important.
If she is. I may be interested.
I have no idea where you can get background information on them but am sure that someone knowledgeable will pipe in.
Even if you can get a couple of pics, with her permission, to post later, I'd appreciate it.
They are probably worth a lot more than some of these other relics that I've spent good money on.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Hi Don;
            I know a bit about the Tice and watts Bows . they were popular in the late 60's . Both Lovell Tice and Bill Watts , were physicist working for Nassau . They had access to the space program computers and used them to design a very fast Bow. One part of their design incorporated the use of tapered glass ,along with a tapered wood core. Unfortunately Lovell died at a young age and Bill struggled along for a few more years and then sold the company to a Fella from Georgia by the name of Tom philips , Tom had production problems and sold it to someone in Mississippi and thats the end of the story for a great Bow.Heres some Pics Of A T&W Master Hunter I own.   :thumbsup:

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Wow Sergio, that's great. It's pretty much what I was told but with a little more detail. Lovell Tice's daughter said that they were computor designed but I was a little skeptical that they were doing that with computors back then.

I really hope that she does come back with a couple of the bows. I'd love to look at them up close.

How does your bow shoot? What is the weight? And, what is the length?

Thanks,
2fletch

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
They strike claim to be the first computer designed bow and kick major tail. Jim

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I have one and one is on the way here next week.  The one I have is a Spartan Hunter Mk1 and is 58" and 50#.  One of the smoothest drawing bows I have ever shot and one of the fastest.  I have a 60" version in 55# coming.

One clue to its performance I believe is the curvature of the limb unstrung which seems to have a lot of curve compared to an old Bear. I've wanted one since the 60s when I saw one owned by a friend of mine and was impressed with their performance.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Pretty grain in that bow Richard. Seems like your collection is growing...

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks Bill.  The new one is factory camo so I don't know what's under it and never will find out.

You are right, the unintended collection seems to be getting out of hand.  Didn't you warn me about that?
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Don; The Master hunter in the above pics is 58" and 57# @ 28" . It is very Smooth and quick ! It is in mint condition , I had it professionally refinished because i modified the grip on it. It had an aweful large high wrist grip that was very uncomfortable.
    With all the copying of existing Bows out there, it baffles me as to why some one has'nt copied the T&W.  :coffee:

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I have a couple of them.  Mine are in average shape and pretty palin bows,  I have seen some really beautiful ones.

Like Sergio says...they shoot better than they look.

They were not flooded on to the market like the major brands.  Thes two guys worked for NASA and had to spend some of their time on the space program.  It was somewhat of a part time operation.

You see them pop up on e8ay once in a while but the collectors snatch them up.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Hey Jim

I just realized that our Forum's back.  I was crusin' the pow wow a couple of days ago and saw it listed again.

Nice of you guys to laet me know,  but I guess y'all enjoyed the peace and guiet without me.

Good to have it back.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
My very small Tice and Watts collection.  

NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Don,

I have a T&W Spartan Hunter, it is hanging in the basement, haven't shot it in years. I had to modifiy the grip, it was huge and high; as you know I am a pretty big boy, and I couldn't handle it.

Been thinking of this bow for several weeks now, probably need to run some arrows thru it. I will try and remember to bring it to the state shoot, you can do a test drive.

Dennis

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Hey Dennis,

Good to hear from you. How do you like the T&W bow? I have never shot one of them so I would look forward to it. I'm still waiting to go on a pheasant hunt Dennis. I hate that it didn'e materialize.

Don

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Tice & Watts bow info needed.

I have a 58" Spartan Hunter, Mark I, Serial # 10356.

Does anyone know how to tell what year it was built?

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
I know Doug Kittredge's catalogue used to sing the praises of the 'performance' of Tice and Watts bows until he introduced his Kittredge Signature recurve. He said he didn't like the production problems that were causing delays in delivery of the T&W bows. He also gave high praise to the 'stability' of Jack Howards bows in his catalogue.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©