INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: bear TD limb latches  (Read 642 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
bear TD limb latches
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I'm sure it has been discussed many times but is it possible the Bear limb latches could ever be brought back and used on our current bows? What a brilliant design! Is there a patent that just won't expire or why are they not replicated if the original design can't be copied?
bryce olson

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear TD limb latches
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Because it is too expensive to make the beds on the riser and the casting for the metal parts.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
wow Bryce the CNC in our old shop it would cut a set of sockets in about 2 minutes or less and really more like 15 seconds.Not cost effective though very expensive.I believe the pat.and or design of the socket is still protecting it from copy.
However thats not to say some guy's have not reproduced them in very small numbers.I've seen at least 3 different sets of after market sockets and seen several sets of sockets that were gold plated same as the signuture bows had in them.The after market sockets were way to expensive for me to get involed.As for cutting the riser those were cut out with a router bd

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Yes Grant, it would be a dream to have that system made by these great bowyer,but maybe it is better so;the romance of the Custom kodiak Td will be inalterated and unique in the time.The real lovers of those bows are enjoing them since quite few time,without considering the potential value on these masterpieces.Isn't it Grant?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I think you're right on Felix. My bows are all altered a bit but still in all, they are Bear T/Ds. Bowdoc, the West Coast Wizard, makes sure we don't get TOO out of hand, LOL. GY

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
By the way, Bowdaddy, how's our little project looking this AM?  GY

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Super topic and fascinating to say the least.

Anyone have any pics of something that came a little to close for comfort from Bear's perspective?
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
jeremy,I would be really interested to see your finish conversion when it will come.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
here ya go GY what ya thinken ????? bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
Pretty fair knock off Don. JUST KIDDING GUYS! Thanks Bowdaddy- it looks great. Can she come home now? BTW- Don't forget those latch pads. Sorry to interrupt the thread fellas. GY

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I'll double check her asap gy.Did anyone actually research the pat.number and or contact Bear and ask ? Craig may know for sure eather way.
I know Mike StJ and George Johnson both had several sets of after market sockets machined and they did build a few risers.bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I've thought about a good bit like you have kuch and have about come to the same conclusion although I'm a B riser guy. Bowdoc- I almost bought a St. John from Moose a few years back but like I said, the hardware wasn't seated as well as it would have been on an original. Seems like a small thing but I would have bought it for myself and to use and I would have known it wasn't quite right. It was a beautiful riser though. You know how picky I can get, LOL.  GY

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
OK this is just me talken here guy's just for myself and I mean no disrespect to anyone.I like the real deal real bear riser real bear limbs.I personaly do not shoot after market limbs very often.I actually hardly ever shoot after market bow or limbs.By saying after market I mean bows that were built using someone else's idea or pattern type thing.I would much rather see bow builders come up with their own idea of a great bow rather then using someone's design.Just like all Bear Archery Company bows often copied but never duplacated.Thats just me personaly guy's bd

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
i agree,bd, to a point.but sometimes you can't reinvent the wheel and availability is an issue to consider.the latch system is brilliant, but the old ones don't seem to be around every corner . i am very fortunate to acquire the older ones and appreciate the "real deal" .let's say ...for argument's sake ..that the bear latch system was the prevailing system for most t/d bows...it still would be a brilliant invention...just more "common" by a numbers perspective. i don't have my thumb on the archery business nor am i any expert....but it seems like there is a market for these bows and Bear may be missing that niche...only making the "supreme" in b length.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
but think of this guy's look how much we love Fred and his take down system there is plenty of room for us to love another good inventer like Fred.Wow what if a guy like Ed whom by the way builds great bows but what if Ed actually built an Ed bow ? would'nt that be cool ? you know it looks only like the Ed bow ?????? bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Good point Bowjob- I just needed limbs for my old risers, lol. Your point is well taken. UDAMAN-GY

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
just to debate ... a little. i have heard , philosophically... there are no new ideas at this point in history, only expansions on existing ideas. my point being: why reinvent the bear latch or ilf which is a proven, great system. yes..maybe expand on those... but bowdoc..to invent a totally new system has ..in my mind, too many econmic pitfalls to get it to fly. i am not discouraging independent thought, again to reiterate: we need to really appreciate the time,money,brainpower, initiative of bear archery....but they have to pay the bills. back to my previous post.. maybe they are passing up a niche? bring back and add current technology to a great invention.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Well said Doc, I thought I was the only one who felt a Bear riser with  any other limb than a Bear, was not shooting a Bear.
I think someone once told me it was a hybrid.. Personally I like purebreds.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
OK how's about this one...for over 10 years I been working on a take down system riveled only by a bear system.Yes its true I spent hundreds of hrs.drawing pictures on the back of match books.My system is not the same not even near a bear latch system at all.Fact is its better..however having the time to put the match book drawings to use ? thats super hard for me right now.
Then there is one other minor little problemo like having the 10-20 grand needed to get set up to build them.Holy begeeus one riser complete at a cost of around $15,000.00 I'll take two bd

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Can you guy's tell me if this is the same bow?A buddy just called me from Washington State asking if I new anything about this Take-Down bow.

He said it is wood with acent wood stripes. The serial# is C1709.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©