INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Old 1959 Howard Hill Longbow  (Read 412 times)

Offline oldhickory

• Trad Bowhunter
Old 1959 Howard Hill Longbow
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Well last week my neighbor saw me in my back yard shooting my longbows. He mentioned that he has a old bow collection in his garage. of course I wanted to run right over and have a look, but he said he was going on vacation that day and it would have to wait.
My neighbor knows how I am into Howard Hill and he just had to "mention" before he left that some of the bows in his collection "might" say Howard Hill on them.
Well today he had the chance to pull a few of his bows out of his garage (he has over 100) from the few that he pulled out, sure enough there was a old 1959 Howard Hill longbow. it was a bit unusual because the only writing on it was on the lower limb and it read.
       Howard Hill Longbow
       Laird E. Marsh 1959
He asked me if I was interested in it and I said yes! He asked me what i would give for it and I said I don't know it's your bow.
He said, would $30 be too much?
He said that's what he paid for it. I said no that's not too much and I bought the bow from him.
The bow has green glass on the back over bamboo nodes and has a yelowish off white color belly. The limbs are narrow and thick the grip is narrow and deep. This bow does have slight reflex and it has a single crack in between the bamboo lams.
Hopefully I will be able to glue it back up.
I am not very good on a computer, but i will try to get someone to post pics of it for me. Thanks.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old 1959 Howard Hill Longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Great story and a great find.

A trad gang member Bob Burton ("Aromakr") is preparing a book on Hill bows and I bet he would love to see some pics, especially the closeups of any marks and numbers.  As a matter of fact, I would love to see some pics too.
Lon Scott

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
No way $30 for a 1959 Howard Hill longbow   :scared:    :scared: .. Nice find my friend... Send me some photos and I'll post them on here for you [email protected]

COdy
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline oldhickory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Hi Cody. I just shipped the bow out today to a professional to try to have the crack repaired.
Hopefully it will work! I want to shoot this bow.
I do not believe in letting them collect dust.
Worse case scenario I will just display it if the repair job does not work. I really have nothing to lose. But if I can get her in shooting shape I will shoot her. I did take some pics with my cell phone before I shipped her out. I will email those pics for you to look at.
 After I get her back I will take some better pics that we can share with others on this site. My cell phone pics do not do the bow justice, it is a beautiful bow. Thanks

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
Depends on where the crack is.  Some cracks can't be repaired and for those situations it's best to just hang it on the wall.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©