INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Super Kodiak question!  (Read 426 times)

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Super Kodiak question!
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
I have been itching to buy a Bear Super Kodiak.  I really like the looks of the mid to late 60s bows.  Was wondering about performance though.  Do any of you (and I am assuming there are at least a few) Super Kodiak guys have a preference between Grayling and Gainesville models or are they comparable in design and performance?
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Super Kodiak question!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:15:00 AM »
If I look for a Super Kodiak I want an original Grayling better looking bows and great smooth shooters,accurate and enough fast.I own several SKs from 67 to 71,everyone is a little different,love them all.I don't own any Florida model so I can't help.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
I have several SK and i would sell one if you wanted to buy one.

I have a 72,73,74 and i think a 75 and one of them has been refinished by bow-doc.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
The SK has always been my favorite Bear bow.   I have own both Grayling and Gainesville made bows.   This is just my subjective opinion--both were equally smooth to draw, had a very similar grip feel, and seemed equal in performance(although I never shot either through a chronograph).   I would expect the Gainesville bow to maybe have an edge based on the fact that they are probably using newer and improved materials. Again this is just my opinion, I had no way of testing either bow.   Personally, my favorite SK was the 64" model they made around '70-'71, very smooth and one of the best shooting bows I had.   Unfortunately, I broke it--my fault, not the bows.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
What poundage are you looking for?  I have a '69 camo 58# 60" that is available.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
I use two model bows, and one of them is a ASuper Kodiak. I own a few of them. Like all bows, performance may vary a little from bow to bow but you can count on adequate performance (if speed is your yardstick) and a very stable shooter. I currently use two; a '69 and a '70. Pound for pound, the '69 is slightly faster but there is a difference in weight with the '69 being rated at 65# and the '70 at 68#. The '70 is tough as nails and a very solid bow- I've taken a good bit of game with it but the '69 is prettier and as I said, a tad faster. My main hunting bows are my old takedowns but I would be okay if either of these bows were all I owned. I know nothing about the recent models except that they aren't finished as well and don't feel as good in my hand. They are probably alright though.  GY

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
well actually there is very little difference in design of Super Kodiaks from 1967 1/2 until yesterday.They are all almost the same design and very well may have been the same forms as well.The newer bows do shoot a little different do to new materials like glues and core wood but I personaly have never seen one I did not like there all great shooers for me bd

Offline kwikeekwiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I shot my first 3-D course of the year today with my Blue Striper,and I am in the woods thinking how unbelievably quiet my bow is from draw to shot as compared to my comrades with me, I really like my SK.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I prefer the older one's because I like the way they look. And thats the time I started bowhunting. 67 1/2 thru 69 are my favorites. But, other than that, I think they shoot about the same. Just personal preference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©