INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What finish will stick to Thunderbird Epoxy?  (Read 315 times)

Offline cleenreelees

• Trad Bowhunter
What finish will stick to Thunderbird Epoxy?
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Refinished a 1967 1/2 Super Kodiak (AKA: Black Beauty). I used Thunderbird Epoxy finish but found it difficult to spray on and also to wipe on. I now have a T-Bird finish with lots of drips, runs and errors. I'm done with the T-Bird.

I now want to put a finish over the Thunderbird without having to sand it back down to the bare bow.

What will stick to the Thunderbird? Poly? bowcoc recomends a tung oil (Birch and something...) -would that stick to the Thunderbird?

Any replies greatly appreciated!

J.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What finish will stick to Thunderbird Epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I have an article somewhere on how to brush on T-Bird if your interested.  Bowdoc was referring to Tru-Oil by Birchwood Casey.  Its primarily used on gun stocks.  I've used it on everything from Risers, to arrows, to turkey calls.  I like it, although it can be tricky in humid south.  Willing to bet if you utilize a heat box at low temps, you'd be fine.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
you will have to wet sand with something around 600-800 grit which will make for a nice clean surface for the new finish to stick to.Birchwood & Casey tru oil gun stock finish should work fine over the tbird but I would test a small spot like the tip overlays first keep us posted on how its going bd

Offline cleenreelees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Thank you gentlemen!

Tim, I would love to read that article on brushing on T-bird. I may try that before the Birchwood and Casey for this bow.

Bowdoc,

I will be trying the Birchwood and Casey tru oil if that brush on method doesn't work. I have a few more bows to finish and will try the B and C tru oil on them. It may be a bit more manageable for me.

Rock on!
C.R.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©