3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow length and accuracy  (Read 404 times)

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow length and accuracy
« on: December 09, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Does bow length play a part in accuracy?  I have short draw length and the longer bows are awkward n the woods for me.  I really liked the super mag by bear, but didnt shoot it very well, soooo Im still looking.  Thanks.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow length and accuracy
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
A longer bow will have a slightly smoother draw, and less finger pinch, all other things being equal.  This might translate into more accuracy.

However, if the extra length means you can't get it into position to make the shot you need in the field, then the extra length is not helping you.  Which is why many hunters prefer shorter bows, all other things being equal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Find a 54" Arroyo and you will get the best of both worlds, no pinch or stack out to 30"s. That Super Mag will be okay for ya with a short draw but they are not very quick and can be loud. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I've not found a relationship between length and accuracy.  I have found a relationship between length and comfort.  Most any bow under 58 inches for me is uncomfortable to draw in that they seem to stack a bit in that last 1 & 1/2 inches of draw.

Although Shawn you got me to wonderin on this 54 inch Arroyo.  How long is your draw?  Mines 29"+, depending on how much I have on.
Otto

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
Shawn is correct and if you pull over 28 , there just not as comfortable to shoot as some of the modern bows
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
I draw just shy of 29"s but I have had guys with 30 and 31 inch draws shoot this bow and they love it. The guy with the 31" draw said no pinch and I believe it just starts to stack at 31"s. They are smokers!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm not entirely certain that a shorter bow is less accurate per say, but the shorter bows definately are a little tougher to steady(not like we are holding for a huge amount of time---but still have to be steady), and the finger pinch issue already mentioned above could be an issue. I have to second the Arroyo here-----very smooth, quiet, and zero stack out to a long draw.

The short bow will shoot more accurately than the nut holding the handle(to borrow a term I read today). A bow is only as accurate as the shooter. Try a shorter bow and practice, practice, practice.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I had a 52" Herters that shot great, but started to stack at about 26" and I draw 28". It also pinched pretty significantly, so it had to go to a new home.

If you draw less than 28", then a shorter bow should be fine. How short do you think you need to go? A 56-58" bow is pretty handy for most folks. Kanati's are smooth as glass and come in 56". If you draw under 28" that would be a great choice. They are fast, smooth and stable (no hand shock). That is if you are interested in a longbow. Don't know anything about the Arroyo, but I don't think Shawn would lead you astray.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
There has to be something to lenght and accurancy, just check the lenght of the olympic target bows. that being said, in a hunting situation a shorter bow may offer better trade offs. Use what works best for your shooting style. lenght does make a bow more stable, thus more forgiving. I'm by now way saying that a shorter bow can't be smooth and stack free.

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©