INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Got my Jet!  (Read 560 times)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Got my Jet!
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
This is a shooter, not a collector, but I thought I'd post a couple pic's here and thank the guys that helped me out!

While searching for this bow I got help from some old friends - Kelly "Knows All, Sees All, Tells All, Stops at Nothing" Peterson, Jerry and Rob, and some new ones - thanks Charlie, Jack Millet (tho I don't know why you call yourself "Daddy Rabbit"), Danny and all the guys that gave me the heads up on the auction site bow (that one is pending).

I found this one at Compton's and Jack the seller gave me the bow on my promise to send him a check when I got home (guess I'm not as seedy looking as I thought!).  Couple character marks here and there, but other than the inserts (WHY 4??) she's in nice shape for the age (late 400's serial number).

I figure I'm getting around 64 lbs at my draw and the 2216's really go nice with a big Snuffer on the front!

Thanks again, Tradgang guys!

PS - no comments on the moleskin and foam rest...like I said I'm a shooter, not a collector!

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got my Jet!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
sweet!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
That's a looker! Nice Rosewood............IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
That's cool Ryan. You could attach a leash for Oskar on one of the inserts, a water bottle holder on one. Endless ideas for all the inserts.

It was good meeting you at Comptons and listening to the tracker info.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
That is some bow... shoot the dickens out of it...

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Ryan thats a beauty for sure and it will surely it do the job with those heavy arrows and a snuffer.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Nice bow and i love the apple tree its hanging in!  Down south..we don't get to see apple trees.

Michael

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
those are some fine fine shooters for sure bd

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Sweet,glad you found one. Good luck.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Nice looking bow Ryan congrats on your find. I would say the two inserts in the middle are to mount a sight on. The top and bottom one were for a long compound bow style quiver?..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Yep, all you need now is a little brown and green spray paint and you will be all set...  :D

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Ryan  Welcome to the

"Jack Howard Bow Owners Society"

You will get to a point where you feel that there are Jack Howard bows...and "also ran bows".

Brace heigh should be low, about 7-1/2".  Play with it from there.

I know you have the legacy for it 'cause your dad was a big believer in them.  Now you can follow in his footsteps.

As for the inserts...looks to me that the two in the middle are for a standard bow quiver setup, and the top and bottem are for the Delta Quiver, Black Widow quiver, or the Bear double stud quiver.  The brass inserts look like a really neet installation job, better than just drilling holes.  It may hurt the collector's value a bit but as you said, this one is a shooter, not a collectible.

I think Jack would more appreciate people dragging his bows throught the woods than just hanging them on pegs.  He did not design them with hanger hooks built in.
Again, welcome to the "Jet Set".

If you need them, check with Charlie Lamb for Jack's feather rest.  You may like shooting off the rug, but it is less drag off the feather rest which will result in a cleaner release.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Congratulations on your find, Ryan.  Jack was a big fan of using a sight, so the middle inserts may well have been used for one.  He would also recommend the feather rest.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Jack pionered the usen of nsights on hunting bos.

Yhe sighet he promoted, sold, and use was the "Heart shot"

It mounted to the fromt of the bow the length of the sight windoe]w.  It had four pins.  Jack would set his pins for 20, 40, 60, and 80 yds.  For distances inbetween he would interprolate.  If and animal was at 50 yds he set the 40 and 60 yd pins above and under the animal, approximating where the 50 yd pin would be.

He was a master at long range shots this way.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Ryan -   JH specified 6 1/8" to 6 3/4" fistmele measured from the high point of the handle, not the deepest part of the grip.  I think that the 7 1/2" that Jack Millet mentioned above is the measurement to the deepest part of the grip, which equates to about the lowest part of the range JH spec'd measured the other way.  Just a different way of measuring the same thing I think.   Hope that's not more confusing.
Gregg

Offline Yorktown5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Big massive bows...Howatts on steroids.  Uncommon to find with Jack's stickers still intact too.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
I've always wanted to shoot...and maybe own... a JH bow, but I have never had to opportunity.  They are not too common here in the west, but if one around 50# comes into range, I may have to grab it.
Lon Scott

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Lon;

Get ahold of Bow66(Ron Wyrick)-he lives nearby to you-has several Jets-maybe you could get together and shoot one of his.

Thanks, Kelly
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
I've owned about 3-4 different JH's and they all shot pretty darn good for me very nice bows bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©