INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 1969 alaskan questions  (Read 324 times)

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
1969 alaskan questions
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
I have a old Alaskan recurve SN# 9f1165. 62" amo 40#. Its got teal and yellow glass. I was curious to as if you could assist me with your estimate of the following questions.

Amo62" = Sting length?
What Brace Height?

Any help is much appreciated.

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1969 alaskan questions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
actual string length is 58 inches. I would put a flemish string on it and twist it up or down and see what brace height works best for you. The bow is 1969 by the way.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
It's marked "AMO".  Actual string length according to AMO stadards adopted in Feb of '68 state that the string length is 3" less than the bow length when measured under tension.  

If the string maker is making and measuring their strings correctly, order a 59" string (or a 62" AMO string).  There seem to be precious few who are doing so though.

Order a 12-strand 58" dacron string from the majority of makers and it'll settle in on the bow at 59".  Order a 58" low-stretch string for a 62" AMO bow and you'll have a very high brace height!  That's why strings are properly measured pre-stretched and under tension.  I ran into this problem a number of years ago while trying different strings from a well-known maker... ordered and received strings that measured the same, but braced the bow at wildly different heights.

Standards were put in place for a reason and a big pet peeve of mine is bowyers and string makers who don't follow them or worse yet, don't follow them and still mark it "AMO"!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Thanks
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division