INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Damon Howatt Monterey made in ???  (Read 721 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Damon Howatt Monterey made in ???
« on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I recently picked up a nice old Howatt Montery  and wanted to know if some of you can identify its birth year.

Could it be a 1964?

It's a 62", 50# at 28", with a serial # of EMX 491 - 62".

It has the typical Damon Howatt logo below the serial with the word "MONTEREY" in small aqua-colored block letters.

Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damon Howatt Monterey made in ???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
RON

I don't know the exact year, but it is about that period.

I have one from 1967 that is a bit more advanced than yours so '64 sounds about right.

The decal should be the Conquistadore on a horse to be from that era.

It should be a great hunting bow.  It is the exact same cut as a Howatt Hunter.  The only difference is the riser of laminated roswood.

Mine is 32# with white glass.

It will take someone like Howatt Man to give you and exact date based on the Serial number.

I also have a 50# with Black Glass and a 50# with Dark Green glass, but they are both later models as they do not have the Conquistadore on the horse.

Great find.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
I have a 1963 catalog which describes the Monterey as the same design as the Palomar but with a less costly riser design. It says it is a favorite for the ladies as well as a hunting bow for men in 62 inch length. It sold for 59.50 in 1963. any weight up to 75#

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Lon, The riser is very very close to the "Comet". By Larry Whiffen. So close i had to hold it up to the computer. Cant believe how similiar there are. Learn something new everyday.. You didn't tell us how much.LOL

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Years ago Larry Hatfield told me the first # of the serial was the bowyer that made it , they worked by piece work, Larry was bowyer #8.
The next # was the last # of the year, in this case 1969 , the next was the # of how many bows were made that year in that model and that length.
So correct me if I am wrong Larry , Larry are you out there? This would be a 1969  made by bowyer #4 and the first one made that year in 62" of that model

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Great find!! These are some mighty fine bows. As Jack said they're built on the same design as the old Hunters...of which I have several as well.

This is my 1968 Monterey:

The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Hay,, Sweet thanks for the info Ted, I have a Balboa signed by Larry, Don, Dan, Gail. So if the numbers are true from what Ted said. The numbers mean Larry built it. But,,,, Don Jewett says he made it and Larry designed it. Lol There's actually Six signatures on my Howatt. I cornered the Martin guys at the Moses Lake shoot in 2003. They were all kind enough to sign. Larry handed the bow to Don J and asked "if he remembered making these Balboa's". I Have all the pics of them signing the Bow. Then they signed the pictures i took of them the following year.I have Lots of respect for those boys. Thanks Lon and Ted. Got me some info out of your topic.Thanks Much..Nice bow Lon..

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
But but Lon's bow is rosewood and I was thinking rosewood was gone in DH's by 1969 ???
Does the bow have the letters AMO-62" writen on it anywhere Lon ??? the AMO letters were standard on most bows by late 1968.I just got my puter fixed and will be watching to see how this one turns out.Nice looker Lon bd

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
The bow does NOT have the AMO-62", unlike my 1973 Howatt Hunter which has it.  That serial # of my Hunter is HH 3374...and Larry has said it is a 1973 due to the curved stripe in the riser and the first digit of the serial which Larry says denotes year.

Sorry Ted, but I am sure Larry and others have indicated the first number denotes year.

My Hi-Speed # is HHS 763, and is a 1967 according to Mr. Hatfield.

As for the Monterey, I was trying to determine if it was a 1954, 1964, or 1974.  

...but what about those letters "EMX"?
Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
I still say the key is the decal which we have not seen.  If it is a conquistador on a horse, it is a '60's model

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 12:45:00 AM »
Lon,, sure seems like. The X, possibly meaning prototype. M.E. being Larry marked in reverse. Maybe its a long shot but sure seems like it would be a prototype. My balbos HBA130458" no amo, also just the standard DH logo. Larry says he only desinged it and Don Jewett made it. im confused. So is it a 64 then Lon, ?? Ward ?? Papa ? Ted ?? anybody.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
No Lon , That I do remember , I would check with Larry but I forgot , he is in Cambodia visiting family.
The first # he said was bowyer ID #
I have one he made in the first 6 months he started working for Damon in 1961 , he verified this when he was here this spring and signed the bow as well.
Serial # is 8187-58 , this he said the 8 was his ID # and the 1 meant 1961 and it was the 87th bow they made in the High speed that year in 58". He told me he received $4.50 for making this bow.
Guess we will have to wait for his return to clear this all up , glad he is still around to do so.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Anybody have one of these in 62" and 38-44# they'd like to sell to me? RH, of course.

Thanks, Kelly
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
1964 bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Case closed...The DOC has spoken

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
OK Ted, let me muddy up the waters some more.  I did a search of topics and found this question posed by someone:

"Hey guys,
I have a Super Diablo, 50lbs @ 28", AMO 60". Serial number is ESD9125. Wondering if you could tell me the age, bowyer's name, and approximate value. Not selling, I am just curious. Thanks."

A response was then given by Larry Hatfield:

"your bow was built in 1999. since only chuck jones and i were shaping risers then it was one of us. can't help with value. sorry. larry"

I guess we will all have to wait for Larry to return and clear this up. Regardless, I love bow mysteries.
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
if thats the case then on the 1999 model Damon Howatt himself would have built that one as DH's bowyer # was #1 more ?????? then answers so far bd

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Larry told me that you had to also check model and catalog as each model was different and you couldnt have a 61 that was made in 71 , unfortunately the dating of Howatts is not as easy as just a # .
Yes Lon , kinda makes it all fun when you get to learn things along the way, the more I think I know the more I learn there's more to learn.
Maybe we can get a list made up by Larry when he returns that we can pass around like Al Reader did with Bears , I might have to get on that, after hunting season of course

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Larry has spoken:

"it is a 1964. i am back from cambodia! was visiting friends and family."
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
yahooooooooooooooooooooo bd