INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: stickbowman figure by Fred Bear  (Read 1007 times)

Offline graylingdeerslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
stickbowman figure by Fred Bear
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
As most of know Fred Bear was known as the Stickbowman and what a appropriate name. What many archers do not know is that he signed very few bows with stickbowfigures on them. I believe this was done in the seventies, I have a picture of Fred with the stickbow figure on it, the picture is of the snow buck taken in Michigan, and believe it was his second buck taken the picture was taken in about 1938/40 the fasinating thing is someone must have given Fred the picture to sign and he put the stickbowman figure on it some 30 years or so later. I have only seen three figures and all were in Al Readers collection, there is another in the  museam in Glen St.Charles collection. Tom Taylor has one on a gainsville ow, all the bows with the figure are on takedowns, Also, all of the figures have a bumble bee type body, if the figure is round of the body it probably in not original. If you have a bow with the figure it is extremly rare; Al Reader said it was like finding gold at the end of a rainbow.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stickbowman figure by Fred Bear
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
Graylingdeerslayer -

Fred Bear killed the "Snow Buck" on Friday the 13th, in November 1942, which is well documented in publications in the 1940s.

Although, the "Snow Buck" was the first animal that Fred took that was filmed, the film has somehow slipped through the cracks in time.

Who among us has a copy of this historic footage???

The earliest Fred Bear Stickman signature that I have is dated 1941 and appears on a 1930s Bear Products quiver that is also signed by many other great old bowmen.

I would guess that if we looked hard enough, one would discover that Fred signed his Stickman signature on items during the 1930s.

Many old bowmen of the 1920s-1940s era had unique signatures that incorporated either a bow or arrow into their signature.

Art Young and Saxton Pope are two of the earliest to use arrows to cross the "T" in their names.

Forrest Nagler's late 1930s and early 1940s unique signature is perhaps the most amusing to incorporate an arrow.

Nagler was the most prolific bow and arrow moose killer of the era, but very humbly referred to himself as the "moose misser".
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Jack W. has 3 bows in his personal collection that all 3 have stickman on them.They were done for Jack by Fred while Fred was at a sportsman show in Spokane Washinton 1983 would have been the year.I've actualy restored one of the bows for Jack which is a 1965 Kodiak Magnum the other two are a 1964-1965 Kodiak and a mid 1950's Kodiak.Several years ago when I was fat that is fat with cash I made Jack an offer for one of the bows I thought he could not refuse....he did bd

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I have a 1st Edtion Leather Bound of Pope & Young Record book signed to Frank Scott and has the Stickman figure a long with Freds Signature. # 62

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
SHOW OFF! ;)

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I know have the Stickman on something else but forgot what and where the item is. Old Man Time working on me............lol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Thanks, Wade, Boc Doc, Mooseran, for putting the interesting information in about  the history of
Fred Bear's Stickbowman,I do have the picture of the snowbuck,it has the sticbowfigure on it but thought it was put on later, it is hard to tell.
Also,I did not know that he used a stickbow figure back in the 1930's. I know there has to be some more stickbow figures out there but I feel they are extremly rare. I know you guys have been collecting Bear bows longer than me, but in 30 year of collecting have only seen the ones on Al Reader's bows.  I spoke to Walt Siville,  last year, he was the rep for on the east coast for Bear in the 70 and 80's he said he saw Fred sign many with the stickbow figure but i do not belive this to be true,maybe he signed  them but not with the Stickbow figure. Surely more would have shown up on bows at shoots and ****. I appreciate your information and adds to the history of Fred Bear the original Stickbowman. My interest is the history and letting archers know its importance and the existance of archery history and men who made archery what it is today. I feel proud when I see an archer wearing my hat or shirt with the stickbow figure on it. Thanks again, Good Hunting, Let the little figure live on,,,,Graylingdeerslaye, ////Rich Tiberio               ''a quote from Al Reader, he told me finding a bow with a stickbow figure is like finding gold at the end of a rainbow"

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:35:00 AM »
Do you have any close up pics of the figure for all of us to see and enjoy ... thanks in advance.
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
New StickbowMan Cap/ I will be adding to my web site a new cap with the StickBowMan figure on it, you can bend the wire brim up. This is a really  traditional bowmans cap, made of heavy cotton, sure to last a long time. Also, new StickBowMan pins which are camo green/brown in color.Vist my web site in the next week.          Let the little figure live on    GraylingDeerSlayer

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Hey Rich, I wear my StickbowMan T-shirt all the time.  Sorry I won't see ya at Bear Quest this spring...but there is always Denton.  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Stickbowmen, its been a while since i have posted anything. First, i want to thank those archers that have purchased my hat. I have gotten so many compliments on it, but most of all that you wear it in good health. Since my last posting I have found several other original StickBowMan figures drawn by Fred Bear, but not many more, a total of 11, and know of maybe 6 or seven others. Again the rarity of the figure is for sure, I am currently trying to put an article together for a traditional archer magizine on the History of the Stickbowman figure. For me the pleasure of bringing this little figure of traditional archer history alive has been an adventure,I hope that I have added a little contribution to traditional archery history to be remembered. I believe my friend Al Reader was correct in that only  20 to 30 of these figures signed on bows and books,etc, exist. If you find one tresure it as you have found something very special. Good Hunting , Rich Tiberio, GraylingDeerSlayer

Offline jim g

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Wade, is the signed quiver the one from John Grumley?

Jim

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Are you kidding that would be a priceless piece of history there. Fantastic riser.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
I wanted to update this post. I now have A handle stickbowman signed #1297 obtained from the Reader collection. Also have a copy of Field notes signed with stickbowman and other great signatures. I have been offered a 1970 Kodiak Magnum by a person who used to shoot for Bear which has a stickbowman. I was told by the owner of that bow; Fred had signed a number of them with the stickbowman for people who shot for Bear at an event in the 70's. One more book with the stickbowman was obtained by another collector this past year off the big site. My book was signed in 1988, and could be Freds last stickbowman signature given the dates of other signatures so close to his parting. That however is purely speculation.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
I don't get all hot and bothered over signatures or stickbowman... there are too many forgeries out there. I was told by one very well known collector that he had bows in his collection that had forged signatures and stickbowman. I looked at the bows and thought whoever did the forgery was pretty good. Unless you were standing there when Fred signed it or have some verifiable form of documentation then you will never really know what you have. I don't think a signature with or without the little stickbowman doubles or triples the value of any bow. Just my 2 cents which is exactly what my opinions are worth. You guys know a lot more about this stuff than me.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
It seems Fred Bear and Glenn St. Charles would sign just about anything put in front of them...and never charged a dime as far as I know.  I believe a "signed" bow has an  increase in value at a minimum, and agree it doesn't double or triple value.

I'd rather have an orignal takedown without filled holes than one signed by Fred with filled holes.
Lon Scott

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Lon, though Fred signed a Stickbowman on other items; only 20-30 were on  Type 1 risers according to Al Reader. I know of 4 of them including mine. These risers sell for $3000-3500 in good condition. I guess it depends on the collector and how deep his passion is for the stickbowman signature. I would not pay that kind of money for a handle with holes. Glad I received a fine piece. I was able to handle mine before purchase. Given recent events, it's the only way I will go on such an expensive collector piece.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I love vintage bear bows as most of you know.
Especially wood risers.
I've been reading this topic and wanted to give my thoughts about signed bows.

Fred Bear signed THOUSANDS OF BOWS including take down risers. They are not rare.

I have some signed risers myself. They are cool for sure knowing they were held and signed by our outdoor teacher but because their signed DOES NOT add dollar value like some may think or hope.
Even if he drew his Lil' figurine.
It adds some value, no doubt, but how much?
The answer:
Only what a wanting buyer is willing to pay AT THE MOMENT!
The market value of an item is NOT DETERMINED by 1 sale.
The other important thing is KNOWING if they are genuine signatures. I've been doing this long enough and literally seen hundreds of signed bows and other items of PapaBear.
If I can't say with 100% confidence if a signature is genuine, I simply wont buy it.
I trust what I have learned through the years.
WHO YOU GET IT FROM is very important as well.

This talk of "What it's worth" is similar to the Fred Bear Signature bow program which was a FAILURE in terms of dollars.
There's only so many HIGH DOLLAR consumers.
Same applies here.

Try advertising some of these "signed or stickbow" bows for $3500 and see how many DON'T SELL.
If some are collecting these wonderful weapons for investment, I would recommend real estate instead.
I've paid too much for bows in my time if I needed or wanted it for my collection. I never thought of what I could sell it for!

PS: I could be wrong ofcoarse but I have never, ever heard from anyone that Fred Bear was known as the "stickbowman" as stated in the first post.

I have been close with several of Fred's friends and never heard that term. Ever. Not even in writings.
He was affectionately and almost always referred to, as I do....."Papa Bear".

........Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline TBinMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Excellent post Philip (also Wade, Lon and Chuck to just mention some others) - thanks for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.

Terry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Phillip that is exactly what I been saying about signatures and cartoons all along. You stated the truth very well and I agree entirely.

The guy(s) attempting to profit from these bows are the parties that want to see the big prices on the big site so they can make big bucks. I don't think much of auction prices on the big site for many reasons. No one really knows who is behind the bids and or their real motive for bidding on an item. The big site loves shill bidding, it is more profit for them as well. I would bet there are also some tickle bids are being placed on these auctions just to push the price along regardless of any true desire to obtain the piece... I call it recreational bidding. Anything to jack the price up which allows someone to jump up and down and say "look what it sold for". Fred wouldn't approve, this is not the legacy of his bows or the sport of traditional archery that he would've wanted.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©