INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: stickbowman figure by Fred Bear  (Read 1006 times)

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stickbowman figure by Fred Bear
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
I agree about the big auction site Chuck.
The mighty dollar has once again fogged the minds!.....lol

Short story;
When **** was fairly new, there was a 55# 59 Kodiak I really wanted. I called some friends/ collectors and told them I was going "all in" for it. I then received a call from another collector who I will not name telling me that I shouldn't ask others not to bid because it's unfair. He was right but he had an agenda.
I paid nearly $2000 for it. I know for a fact it was shill bidded stemming from that collector. He knew I wanted it and I had deep pockets.
I bought it anyway to show that I had no desire to "get it cheap" as he may have thought. That price tag did not set the "market value" for a 59' Kodiak.
It was simply what I was willing to pay at that moment.

This collecting is so enjoyable to me. I love the history more than bows. This is what lots of folks are missing out on.
Its nice knowing that some of these bows have real value, Unfortunately the dollar value of a bow has become most important for some.
I do believe however, at some point, these types of collectors will begin to appreciate the bows for what they are and see the real value in them.

I have a dear friend who owns a signed take down who has stored it for 15 years. He never even strung it !!!
I told him its such a shame to have never enjoyed it.
Well, needless to say.......
He killed a nice whitetail with it this past fall! He was so happy!
A lot better than hiding it for future "sale" IMHO. How much value did he place on his memorable hunt with it.......Priceless!
I'll post the pic he sent me from the woods with it when I upload it.

.......Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Here's my buddy Joe's whitetail he took with his signed Fred Bear Take down.

TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Phillip ,You "get it" my friend. I don't have dust collectors and bows are meant to be shot or hunted. If I ever get lucky enough to buy a Signature Take-Down the first thing I'm going to do is string it and shoot it. Then I'm going to let all of my buddies shoot it too. Just so we can say "Yeah I shot an original Signature bow once!" What good is a bow that was never strung or shot???

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4406v:
Phillip ,You "get it" my friend. I don't have dust collectors and bows are meant to be shot or hunted. If I ever get lucky enough to buy a Signature Take-Down the first thing I'm going to do is string it and shoot it. Then I'm going to let all of my buddies shoot it too. Just so we can say "Yeah I shot an original Signature bow once!" What good is a bow that was never strung or shot???
There's quite a few signature bows that have been used out there.
I would recommend picking up one of those when your ready instead of one that has never been assembled.
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I don't have a signed bow nor do I have a Signature bow. All I have is this that hangs on the wall in my cave.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
One of my favorite pics you have.
Lon Scott

Offline graylingdeerslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
alaskabowhunter, just for information, the stickbowman figure that I use on my hats , ahirts was taken off of Al Readers takedown bow. He had three others all were drawn a little different, the one I choose looks to have been drawn very neat.Others i have seen have been ratty, and each one drawn a little differently. Glen Heisey from the Pope and Young Museium sent me pictures of 8 different stickbowman figures. I have seen only 5 or 6 others, thats it after 35 years of collecting.Since I brought the little figure to life some people have of course increased the worth of the bow. Its all up to the buyer as to what its worth  and how much he is willing to pay. I do know they are rare, Al Reader told me once,  "if you find a bow with a stickbowman figure its like finding gold at the end of a Rainbow" beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I will say they are rare, if a signed Babe Ruth baseball is worth a lot, maybe not on the same level, but a stickbowman figure on a Fred Bear bow should be worth a little more. I was only happy to bring the little guys to life, maybe Fred Bear is looking down saying ,,,never thought that would happen,,,, good hunting GraylingDeerSlayer,,, rich tiberio

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Love this post. I am now the very lucky owner of A handle 1297 with the figure out of Al's collection, and the only person to have acquired one from there. Had a great visit with Dave and Nina last April when I went to pick the handle up. Amazing collection Al had, and was like being in Bow heaven to see. Also been fortunate enough to acquire 2 copies of field notes signed with the Stickbowman. Working on obtaining a 62 Kodiak mag also signed the stickbowman.

Offline Shane Reed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©