INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Are Fascor Limbs Noisy???  (Read 435 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Are Fascor Limbs Noisy???
« on: August 06, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
What is Fascor first of all and is it noisy? I have a new (old) Bear Patriot 66" and 25#. Shooting a 2016 alum. shaft out of it so the arrow is not too light. Braced it between 7 7/8 and currently 8 7/8 and it hasn't quieted down a bit. Sound almost metallic like a saw blade.

Anyway, wondering what's up with the bow? Very sweet target model for sure (if I can figure how to shoot it) but noisy. I suppose if you're not hunting with it it's not so bad but I think it should be quieter

Thanks
sam

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Fascor Limbs Noisy???
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
I think my Tamerlane is super noisy. But - I've been told that it sounds noisy to me because it is a target bow and I am used to hunting bows. Just seems that the bows that Bear made for hunting are MUCH quiter than the bows he made for target shooting.
Now there are always things we can do to quiet it down - adjust brace height, get the right aroow, string silencers etc - but it's always gonna be noisier than that 60" Kodiak.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Thought it might be something like that. Are silencers ok on a target bow?

What about Fascor? This was some kind of laminate design Bear patented, correct? It's not the aluminum core limb.

sam

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
The fascor is impregnated maple from my understanding. I never heard of it being extra noisy. Some bows are just noisy.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
fascor is impregnated hard rock maple be it in the riser or the limbs all wood used at that time by Bear archery was impregnated corewood and risers blocks.If you'll note to color of the fascor corewood its a bit darkish gray looking ? thats epoxy and stain mixed together and then vacumed by autoclave completly thru the wood pours.As for noise are you using a flemish twist string or endless loop ? bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Later Custom Takedown limbs also had fastcore, and they are not noisey.

Tournament bows are much finer tunable that hunting bows.  They are more of precision shooting instruments than hunting bows are.

They are designed for shooting precision matched arrows for tight groups as far out as 100 meters.

They require exact brace height, knocking point, number of string strands, rest placement to include the adjustment of windage factor of the plate.  Does it have a "berger button"?

When it is tuned perfectly, it will quieten down considerable.

Do not put string silencers as this will slow down the string.  Also the bow is designed for an endless loop string, not flemish.

One thing that is probably making it noisey is the sight apperture on the premium sight.  You should just take it off and send it to me.    :goldtooth:
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Bowdoc using a continuous loop string. And good point, is a Flemish string good for a target bow? I think Jack just answered that one and I thought so .

Yes the wood is a gray/brownish color between the white laminations. Interesting however, is that when you tap these limbs, they are almost metallic sounding, whereas when you tap other recurves and longbows, they are not so "musical"

And no berger button on the riser. Now I assume that's a plunger type device, correct?

Now Jack, don't tempt me. If I get this working, I'm going to want to use it. I'll tell you one thing, when you try to use the sight and all that, you see one of the benefits of shooting instinctive right away. It's easier.

Any thoughts on why the sight is down close to the bottom even at 20 yds? I'm going to put the sight up to the top and see how close I have to be to make it line up.

I'm setting the nock based on the plastic rest. I started with 1/8" but reduced to 1/16 above the square. My arrows, even though too heavy for the bow, seem to curve right, and set in the target at a definite left to right angle.

Funny bow for sure

Thanks
sam

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
You might try lighter arrows as well.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Well that I have to do, Toad.
Looking for the right shaft right now
However the lighter arrow may make it noisier

sam

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Consider this.

If you anchor at your eye, as some do, and get used to shooting that way.

Now drop your anchor to the corner of you mouth and shoot just like you di with the eye anchor.  What happens?  Your arrow hits higher.

Now drop to a poure target anchor as I explained with your index finger under your jaw line, and kissing the string.  What gonn happen.  You're going to hit even higher.

That sight was not meant to use with an instinctive anchor.  It was meant to be used anchoring at a lower point. It is a wholke nuther shooting meathod, that you have to adapt to, if you are going to use the sight.

If you decide to take the sight off and shoot insticnctive, make sure you put the apperture in your safty deposit box.  It is mre of a collectors item and harder to find then the bow itself.

OR...you can send it to me and I'll keep it safe for ya

If anyone should have one of those appertures they don't need, I'd sure like to get another one.  I have two, but I also have on ebow that needs one.

I want it only to put on a wall hanger.  These sights were not really popular,and many guys took them off and screwed a Reynolds sight to the front of the bow.   The old tried and true Reynolds...probably the most common sight on the tournament circuit.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Your arrow sounds really heavy for that setup. It's probably smacking the riser on it's way by. Also, I'd recommend a 12 strand dacron endless loop string. Also a good book for learning a lot of this stuff is Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera. Hope you enjoy the bow, CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Jack: Have come to the same conclusion by trial and error. Need to shoot differently. Not sure I want to.
Can probably adjust from bow to bow, but not sure that's going to help my shooting or hurt it.

Anyway, the sight stays with this bow, but if I come across one, I'll send it on to you. I assume that these are no longer availabe from Bear

CKruse: for sure they are too heavy. I'm looking for a lighter shaft in the 1500 range. These arrows have a 5.5" fletch too, and I don't think that's helping any.

Thanks
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©