INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Whats your "Shocker" bow  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your "Shocker" bow
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
Jim - The Browning explorer - I'll give you. But it's not a "shocker" that a 64 Kodiak and a bunch of Black Widows shoot well...

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
1972-73 bear mag takedown 60" and 49# @ 28" I shoot it off the shelf and it shoot nice.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I love the 58" Pro Hoyt Hunter...but the shocker is the 58" Whiffen Comet.  Essentially the same bow...but more fun to shoot a Whiffen  :)   JMHO...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
RAINMAN

You gotta get your priorties straight
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
1959 Kodiak Special 66" 40#, 14 strand flemish dacron with 430 gn barrel tapered cedar's. When I first received this bow it was beat. I tried to keep it as close to original as possible. I finished it with a satin varathane and it has now become one of my favorite shooter's. Perhaps in the future this will become a candidate for the Real BD but for now I'm having to much fun with it.    

Offline GreatBay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Ben Pearson Cougar, 1968 43#- hits every stump I aim at.
Dave Gibson

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I guess the one that shocked me the most was my Cub it's a '58 of course, as are the rest of my Bears but it really surprised me the first time I shot it and continues to impress me when I get it out.

The catalog says "terrific glass-powered performance at a moderate price" I would have to agree.
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
This one is just about my favorite on the rack.

Sexy little "white glass" 1957 Kodiak.  Like the rest of the Mid 50s Kodiaks, it really shoots very well.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
VERY nice looking set up there, Trap. Like those older Western Knifes!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
As I understand the question you are looking for bows that surprise you with their shooting features and not necessarially your best shooters.  

My three "shockers" are a 55# Tice and Watts Spartan Hunter MkI, a 50# 1958 or '59 Shakespeare Wonderbow, and a 50# 60s Root Gamemaster.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
An old Blackhawk Scorpion - shoots so nice I hunted with it last year. I've since built a couple bows I will use now, but I just can't bring myself to part with this one.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline 18thcentman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
My shocker is one of Ed Holcombs 59 kodiaks. I have stopped looking for bows since Ed made one for me. This is my "holy grail" in the bow realm.
Living the Dream

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
OK guys, this is my shocker.

A circa 1950 all metal youth bow...

It has recurved tips and measures 47-3/4" between string grooves.

About 15 years ago, I gave $10 for it at a second hand store here in town. Still has the price marked on it.

Not even sure of the maker, looks like a cross between a Grimes and a Par-X.

It's guaranteed to give you a shock as soon as you pick it up.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Thats bad Mr.Phillips
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
That's cool Wade, I've never seen you use blue as a background color in a display case before   ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
67' Wing Slimline Pro-Vantage. 62" and 43# it is a smoooooth shooter....traded a Damon Howatt "bandito" to get it. Great bow!!
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
1959 Grizzly

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raineman:
#5- A 62" Browning Explorer II, 51# that I got at Denton Hill several years ago. Fastest thin tips I have ever experienced on a Browning. Solid one piece riser. Flat out "womper" of a bow. Sold in a fit of stupidity, and convinced I will never find that one again or any like it ever.

Interesting.  I have a 52#@28" Browning Explorer (decal just says "Explorer" but it is 62") and it is my "sleeper" and "shocker" bow.  Spits an arrow out with authority and I do better accuracy wise with it than any of my other (lighter or heaver draw) bows.  Just a great design, but a tad heavy.  I'm drawing it to 30" and it seems to be a hair faster than my 55#@28" Dream Catcher - and that's no snoozer for speed.

And yes, the limb tips are scary pointy.  There ain't a lot of anything inside the loops.    :eek:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
My shocker is a 1959 Kodiak (64" & 47#). I got this bow from Mike Shaw last summer and all I can say is WOW.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I have a 67' Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 43# @ 28", picked it up from Jack Shanks last spring. That old girl can really spit a cedar shaft. I draw it to 29" and it just gives me a bit of a thump in the hand......nice old bow!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©