INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Whats your "Shocker" bow  (Read 1502 times)

Offline swarbt119

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your "Shocker" bow
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
My shocker bow would have to my American Longbow Trophy Hunter made by John Schulz. It has the reverse or forward set grip, 4 layers of bamboo, and brown glass belly and back. The bow just shoots amazing.

Derek

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Mine would be my 1961 Howatt Monterey and then my 1962 Howatt Hunter is a close runner up!
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
'72 Howatt Hi-Speed. 54", 48#@28. Best vintage short recurve ever.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Mine is a 68 Shakespeare Manitou 58" @ 45#.Its not mutch to look at,but it flat out shoots.

Offline Mike/Columbia Basin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
67 Bear Tigercat. Real smooth and fairly quick.

Offline highlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:00 AM »
I just finished refinishing my 68 Super Kodiak ... put a nice radius on the shelf and lowered it to shoot damn near off my knuckle ... spits an arrow ... being a 63# er helps with that but it just feels like a modern day bow with no vibration or hand shock whatsoever.
There's something about holding a longbow in your hand!

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 03:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Big Bird:
Mine is a 68 Shakespeare Manitou 58" @ 45#.Its not mutch to look at,but it flat out shoots.
Something about those old Shakespeares. I just recently picked up a '73 Necedah,58" & 55@28, that's in excellent condition for it's age and she's one of the best shooting recurves I ever owned
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »
My 69 Bear Grizzly 46# 58" I shoot it better than all my bows.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline goldentrout_one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Believe it or not, one of my best-shooting recurves is a 1968-ish Pearson Hunter (model 709). It's my slowest 50lb draw weight bow I own (choreographed), and the grip is down-right uncomfortable, and the craftsmanship on this bow is just mediocre. The 2" wide limbs were constructed without taper (just parallel), which strikes me as somewhat cheap. BUT, I can shoot that bow like no other - one of the most accurate bows I've owned (or more correctly, the bow lets me be at my best). I suspect that the very uncomfortable grip forces my hand to hold it the exact same way every time, and might even minimize the effects of torque. Yes, not a work of art, but you cannot argue with results!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I believe it.  I just bought a '65 B.P. Hunter and I'm loving it.  I find the grip pretty nice with a gloved hand.  The limbs do taper . . . just not much.    ;)  

Definately a hunting tool and I'm planning on whitetailing with it next fall.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I just picked up a 1961 KS on **** for 66 dollars. It has as nice zebrawood in the riser as I have ever seen and it just shoots so nicely for me. Since it is 50 this year it will be my go to bow for this years hunting.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
It has a lot of stress cracking in the limbs so I convered them with some Neet stick on polar fleece I had kicking around, which makes the bow camoed and quiet at the same time. Sure I lose a bit of velocity, who cares.

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 01:46:00 AM »
I guess mine's a 1964('65?)Swift Wing, 62", 52#.  They were only supposed to be made up to 50#, but this one scales a bit more.  It's not the fastest bow on the planet, but has a gorgeous riser and is a real sweet shooter.  Foolishly, I tried to sell it a couple of times, but no one bought it!  Actually, I tried it recently with a 450+ skinny string that made it even better.  I've only heard of one other 62" Swift Wing, but if you find one.....don't pass it up!
Tom

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Early to mid 60's Ply-flex Condor 58"@45#'s I got off **** for 35$. I shoots were I look.

Offline rare breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
Okay, I'll throw my two cents worth in here:  I bought a 19671/2 Bear Super Kodiak in 64inch length and 55 pounds.  All black beauty with phenolic riser and in mint condition with the original leather Bear case for... $100 yankee dollars!!  Shoots like a dream; steady, stable, like kissing your favorite girl.  She may be a bit slow, but, man, when she warms up...

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Migra Bill, I bought my Pearson Mustang in 1961 and still have it.  It is one of my "zen" bows.  When I am in a slump I take the Mustang shooting and things turn around.
no clue how to do this

Offline NumPls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
Bill, I have to agree with you on those (early) Pearson Mustangs. I bought a 64" model several years ago from a guy that used to live a few streets away from me. The finish on the bow was shot, so I refinished it (I think that it may have been my first attempt at such). That bow was a "Shocker" for me when I finished my work and took it out for a "test drive". The bow is 53# @ 28" and shoots very well, to say the least. I had to work a bit for an arrow that shot decently, because it was definitely not cut near centershot. However, I got my first trad Robin Hood with this bow at 20 yds. I was impressed with its quiet performance as well as its speed. And, since Pearsons were not getting much "respect" among the trad shooters that I knew, this bow became a "Shocker" to me.

I confess that I still have a weakness for 64" Mustangs.

Ray

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Toss up between my #50 1968 Kodiak hunter, and 1969 #65 Grizzly. Both strike like thunder bolts and are like an extension of my hand.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
read this post and first thought: I need a necedah and an explorer....then thought the Bear 76er/minuteman was very surprising.  magnesium takedown riser with cheapo limbs but not a bad shooting bow for under $100!! throw it in the truck or boat and go kill stuff!! it's a takedown , can easily refinish to make a nice looking bow and does not shoot bad.i put a 6 strand padded loop string and shoot 550 grain arrows just fine. Love to get some 50# custom static tips  to shove into  that riser....

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
Think the shocker bow I no longer have belongs to one of our members now....

Ben Pearson "take apart" two piece from back in the 50s.

Only shot that a few times. Too much a collector for those of us liking old Pearsons to take too many chances on, IMHO...but when I did.....it was truly a fun one and while I dont worry about speed it wasnt a slouch and d e a d l y from the first shot I whanged out of it.

(PS....I shoulda kept that one!!)

God Bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©