3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shield Cut vs. Parabolic  (Read 952 times)

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Shield Cut vs. Parabolic
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
G'day folks,

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in overall performance between shield cut and parabolic fletching?  I currently use parabolic, but I have been toying with the idea of switching to shield cut; simply because I like the look of them -- they look "traditional" -- but if it means sacrificing performance, then I won't even bother.

Thanks.

Robert

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shield Cut vs. Parabolic
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
In my opinion,High back shield cut seem to stabilize the arrow faster.I use 5 1/2" LW HBSC with as much helical as possible.........might slow the arrow a little more,but they fly straight and true,and stabilize very quickly.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
I don't think that there is a difference in performance between the two, although I believe the parabolics are a bit quieters. I don't think the parabolics are the prettiest shape between the two though. But personally, I use the parabolics for hunting.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
I don't think there is much difference if any! I use 5.5" High Back Shield Cut. They work great and are the best looking feathers imo....

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Shield cuts are slower and make more noise...but not by much.  ;)
Lon Scott

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Use what you like the looks of....  :thumbsup:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
I'll use either, but I usually buy the parabolic just because I like the look of them. The only time I've ever seen a diffrence in performance was on a guy who was shooting a compound off the shelf. Parabolics flew better than sheild cuts in his situation.

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
In my experience, if you have a feather where the trailing end is as tall as or taller than any other point along the feather....you get noise.

P&Y cuts make tons of noise.  I have used both lil' chopper and vario-chopper versions...noisy

Sheild cut...next noisiest.

Parabolic 5" noiser than 4" parabolic.

I just got my Orca blade from Herb.  I will let y'all know how that goes.
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Shields are a little noisier, but as far as I can tell, they've never spooked an animal I've shot at before the arrow got there.  Feather height, length and amount of helical has more to do with stabilizing and slowing the arrow than its shape.  If there's a measurable difference in speed between the two, it's so small few would be able to detect it.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
are sheilds more forgiving?
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
If the shafts are properly tuned, the difference in how quickly one feather shape stabilizes an arrow in flight, versus the other should be negligible. Use what you like, test both decide for yourself.

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the information lads.

Second question:

I currently shoot 5" parabolic. Still thinking of the barred shield cut. I'll admit here: this is an aesthetic thing. I really like the look of the shield cut. Do I go with the 5" shield cut or the 5 and one half inch?  Does it make any difference?

I also want to take this opportunity, as 2007 starts to close out, to thank the creators and maintainers of this wonderful website. If it were a how-to book, it would be a million pages long. The discussion is civil, the people are incredible patient and helpful and I enjoy the company of like-minded people (and I am not just taking about traditional archery).

cheers,

Robert

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
If you're comfortable with your setup with 5" parabolics and want to go to shields, there is really no reason to go to 5.5" feathers.  They stabilize the arrow faster, but cause more drag and make more noise.

Me, I'm going from 5" shields down to 4"  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Im with Robert the only reason I shoot shield is they look pope and young, theve always flown good for me though and so have the parobalics when I shoot someone elses arrows so I dont know.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©