INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What was your first "NEW" bow?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What was your first "NEW" bow?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
November 14, 1991, my birthday, and a Bear Hunter TD.  I didn't have a clue what I was doing, all I knew was that I had to have one of those recurves.  This photo is November 14, 2009.

Remember a brief time period when you could buy recurves from Cabelas mail order.  This is that bow.    

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
I 'm a new member and would like to say how glad I am that I stumbled upon Tradgang . I checked out the forums for a couple days before joining and I am amazed at the knowledge that is shared here ! Now MY first new bow was a Martin(howatt)Mamba 58" 50lb Bought it on the way to a MUCC expo, Happen to stop in a Dunhams sport store and there it was with a "clearance " tag on it . think I paid 85.00 for it(mid 80's) Kept it for a couple years then sold it for what I paid .I have a few older bear bows and a newer Bear Takedown but all of those were bought used . I have one that I will be asking for some help Identifying its an aluminum handled recurve I bought at a yard sale for 2.50 as soon as I figured out how to add pics I'll include more . Iknow how everyone likes Pics
huntnfool

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
First one was a 1962 Kodiak.
Second one was a 67 1/2 Super Kodiak.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
First bow was a new Ben Pearson Cougar in 1961. Cost me $19.00 of my hard earned paper route money. Then next purchase was 1 dz cedar arrows for $9.95 with points.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I didn't get into archery until 1980.  But while in high school in Ohio, we'd go rifle deer hunting over Thanksgiving in Michigan...town was called Grayling!  That would have been 1961-64.  :knothead:  Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Billyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
This is easy,my first bow was a Black Hawk yellow Jacket 35#@28" 66". It was 1966 and the bow was taller then me. I still have the bow and still shoots fine.
 Gordon

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
1949 lemon wood longbow no name 68" and 30 @ 28". A christmas present at age 8. A real rabbit killer.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
1950's Bear Polar.  Deflexed long bow with brown glass.  Earned the money as a "printer's devil"  while in high school.  Bought it at a sporting goods store in Reno, Nevada.  Earned all sorts of small game patches from NFAA with that bow.  Wish I still had it.
no clue how to do this

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
huntnfool 62

Correction...you "were" a new member

Once you post twice, you are a veteran...you are one of us now.  :campfire:  

I look at the names of all the posters here that got their first bow in the '60's.  Can't help but thinking "Man, how far have we all come since we each got our first bow?"
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Signature Saxon Hawk....60" 55# @ 28"

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
50# 1970 Grizzly. Still going strong, took a turkey with it last year. Man I felt/feel proud carrying that bow, like I was stepping back in time. Light and free cutting a wide swath.

Offline 4406v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I drove to Ravenswood West Virginia and bought a Zipper takedown recurve from Bob Thompson.We went to his basement and I picked out my Bubinga and Grey Maple riser with Curly Maple limbs.It was a beautiful bow I should have kept.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
In about 1967-68 I went into Rink's, a combo sporting goods / grocery / variety store at Taylorsville, Utah and bought an orange glass, maple riser, 35# recurve built by Indian.  That bow is long gone but it was my first "store bought" bow and at age 12 I thought I had really arrived.
 :archer:  

My first bow to include self-bows was one my great granpa built for me several years before.  A wooden bow that I broke.
   My Dad bought me a spankin' new Howatt 45#er in 1972 that I still own and shoot.  :archer2:

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
My wife brought me a new Browning bow for me on our first Christmas when we got married. Yet to this day she cannot tell you why she brought me a bow.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I think I was 9 or 10 yeaws old (1955 or 1956) when I got my first bow for Christmas. All I remember is that it was green fiberglass with a black rubber grip. Probably a Pearson. My next door neighbor friend got the identical bow and we became the terror of the neighborhood. I can remember using the tops from Coke bottles to make new points if an arrow broke at the tip. We would use pliers and a hammer to attach them to the arrow. Man I wish that I could time travel back and reclaim that bow! (And pick up a bunch more on my way back to the present).
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
I've never actually owned a "new" bow (although I do have a Dale Dye Medicine Point on order).

My Dad bought my first ("new" to me) bow from the local hardware store in town.  A gently used, two year old 1960 Bear Kodiak, 60", 42#.   Every archery item in that store had "Bear" on it.

About two years later, I went back to that same store and traded it for a great 1962 Kodiak, 55#.  I think it cost me about $12 plus the 60 Kodiak.  Of course, that was a lot of money to a kid back then.

Sad to say that I sold that '62 back around 1982 for a song.     :knothead:   I now spend way too much time trying to find it's replacement!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline oops29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
late 60's  ben pearson jet bow cat.#3330  fiberglass bought by my parents, in my closet now and always will be   maybe 15 or 20 lbs. fist one i paid for in the early 70's bear kodiak magnum 48# also in the closet just can't let go -  too many memories!!

Offline macclare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
1972 Bear Grizzley 58" 50# and still have it. I shot 4 deer with that bow and still shoot it once in awhile.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Ben Pearson "Mach One"..........sometime in the early to mid 70's.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
On my return to CONUS in 1970 I took a 30 day leave and bought a brand new wood handle Bear take down.

With a few extras and a fishing pole I went to the Gila Wilderness in SW NM to convalesce. Spent all 30 days there.....

After that I spent every annual leave in the Gila for 16 more years.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©