INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Couple of projects in progress  (Read 1178 times)

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple of projects in progress
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Hey Guys, been a while.  Havent been on much but I'm still collecting and working on a few projects. Thought I'd share a few of them with you folks.

Late 1950s Bear X-200 Reproductions for Sticshooter.  Made with some acme premiums I found in an estate and sent to Rick Stillman for tapering. What ya think Frank?

Here's some Reproductions of Fred Bear's  Personal arrows that I'm working on for John Kabisa.

Next up are some Bear 1960 Cedar King Repros for Ceme24.  They are almost done Colin.

The early stages of a bunch of feather rests.  Soon to be offered in red barred or grey barred only.  As you can see, they have a way to go.

Have a great evening all, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple of projects in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
That super cool Trap thx 4 sharing.

Offline bowhawk archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Way awesome Trap!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Trap you do amazing work!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Keep us posted Trap
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Great looking arrows Trap. Glad to see you here.

I always wondered what a clothesline was for and now I know.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
I just recieved a set of the Blue crested arrows and 4 more feather rests from Trap. TOO pretty to shoot but they fly like darts from my shortened '59 Grizz.

They'll be my Whitetail chasers this year, tipped with '60 Razorheads.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
They look awesoem buddy. Should work great with the 59 grizz the Rich refinished. Said it should be here this month.Thank you. Kenny what you mean shortened Grizz?<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Trap- Those Fred Bear repro arrows are looking perfect.I knew you were the right guy for the job.I can't wait to get them but I won't want to shoot them,they look too nice.
 I'll be sending you more arrows to do if you're up for it.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
Sure John, I'm game.

Thanks for the kudos guys. Your comments inspire me to get a little better each time.

The only thing prettier than newly made arrows are those same arrows covered in a crimson liquid medium.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
OUTSTANDING work double d those are beautiful bd

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Gorgeous as always,will email another arrow order soon.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Trap,
I'm with the Dr on this OUTSTANDING
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I really like the arrowsss, they will make some happy for sure.

Question time, how does the Acme paint work on the wood shafts and what do you use for cresting. Is the Acme an autobody paint, or lacquer?

The Grey bars look #1's. Do they make a better rest, and can you point us to a supplier? Barry
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
They look great TRAP!  I am definitely looking forward to their completion!  I hope my shooting can do them justice.

I will likely be ordering more some time next year.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Barry, to answer your questions.

1) the "acme" I'm refering to are acme premium parallel cedar arrow shafts.  I paint with Krylon spray paint and crest with Testors model paint and the sealing is done with water based poly.

2) you are correct, the grey barred wild turkey feathers make the most durable feather rests.  They never have gone through any dyeing process which usually involves heat.  The undyed natural barred feathers still have all the oils that the good lord gave the wild turkey and therefore they are just more durable.

3) as for suppliers, not sure if you are asking about grey barred feathers or feather rests.  Grey barred feathers are kinda hard to come by in big numbers and those that have them tend to hoard them.  As for the feather rest, I make them and sell them and I know three rivers archery sells feather rests as well.

Trap

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
Very Nice Work Trap!

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Trap- Absolutely fantastic job.I keep going back and looking at the pics.Something about that old Bear crest that just stands out and looks right.I've got some tapered cedar arrows I hope to use with an old Grumley bow.Can you do a kind of matt finish on them?I have several old Bear arrows from the 1940's and many of the old timers used olive drab green on the shafts with some not too fancy cresting but it sure looks right with an old osage Grumley bow.They may not have even sealed them with clear as they have a dull finish.Maybe that's how they made them back then.I'll send some photos and measurements when I send the shafts if you're up to the task.
  Any idea where I could find some old mid-nocs?Those would look great on the old arrows.
      John

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
TRAP, I have tried Krylon but end up with the paint "sputtering" out of the can and providing a horridly uneven coat.  I have tried a couple different cans of it.  Do you just use regular plain Krylon or some special variant?

Either I have old paint, I am not shaking it enough, I am not buying the right type of Krylon OR, you are confirming what I suspected...user error on my part.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
John, send me the pics and specs and I'll let you know if I think it's doable for me.  I dont have any of the mid nocks except in very small sizes.

Colin, I just use the regular Krylon indoor/ outdoor rattle can spray paint.  I do use a Krylon primer first which helps give one coat coverage and less bleed through.  I do shake it alot and keep the spray nozzle clean.

Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©