INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Takedown mishap!  (Read 572 times)

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
Takedown mishap!
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Gentlemen

Got this B Mag from one of TG's finest this summer and after maybe 200 arrows, the lower limb exploded.

WARNING : GORY PICS AHEAD!

The green on the limb is a grass stain.

The limb looked fine prior to the disaster. I carefully examined the the Fascore seams with a magnifying glass when I got it and found no apparent flaw. I guess these things happen. Supprized the hell out of me, it happened so fast, at full draw, BAM! Did not get hert bad, just a small scratch on the right cheek.

I have a few questions for you guys.

1) When a bow fails like this, is it more frequent to have the upper or the lower limb to delaminate?

2) How hard is it to find a lower limb with the same specs without needing to buy a set? I know, strange question... The correct question would be does anyone have a Lower, Red tip, No2, A-47# / B-45# / C-41# limb? I'll ask in the classifieds.

Thanks for your time.

Simon

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Takedown mishap!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Wow. Glad you were not hurt worse than you were.

Good Luck with your search for a matching limb.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Glad you're OK Simon.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm OK on the outside ; it's in the inside that I hurt...

S

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I have close, but I doubt it will do any good

A-56" 48#, B-60" 46#, C-66" 42#.

Mine is an upper limb but they may be interchangeable if you can drill a new pilot hole for the lowere pin.

I am just one # off but the real problem is that mine are # 1 limbs.

I got them with the bottem limb already broken, not as bad as yours.  Only reason I bought them was to get the B Mag riser that was with them.

I doubt that you can use them, but if you can, I have them.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Thanks Jack but I too doubt a No1 limb would pair well with a No2.

So, 2 accounts of the lower limb failing. Can't draw a conclusion yet. I am kind of hoping that the upper limbs would fail more frequently so I could have better odds finding a compatible lower limb.

S.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I didn't think you could use them, but it does make a point that what you need may be out there.

Don't turn down a #2 upper limb if the weight is close.  I am pretty sure it would work if you could tiller the weight down to match, and drill a new pilot  hole.

I know a set of Bear limbs will work on a right or left hand riser.  I have gotten good deals on limbs by picking them up with a crappy left handed riser.

I am sure there are some Bear Limb Garus out there that can confirm or deny this, but I am sure an upper limb can be retillered to work on the bottem of the riser.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I've broken two sets of limbs for the Bear TD. Both sets broke just like the ones in your picture and with both sets it was the top limb that delaminated. Both sets broke at full draw.

I purchased that bow in 1970. Broke the first set (75#)around 1973. They were replaced (70#)but the new set only lasted a year.

Both times the upper limb hit me on the forehead and dropped me like a bad habit. Spent a year or two getting over the flinch I developed after that.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
I broke an upper several years ago,, Found a slightly heavier lower limb same length, Drilled a new fool proof hole, filled the other and retillered it. They were a bit odd, in that one was a white tip the other red, but they are still shooting.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
micarta wedges ? white tip and red tip limbs ???? I would like to mention I have a set of No.1's red tip I've shot for over 15 years just about daily with no problemos.However I do have a nice set of No.1's white tip micarta wedges that are broken ? bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Earl

That is kinda what I figured he could do if he finds a close match.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Simon, both of my "blowouts were lower limb also but I haven't busted a T/D. Both were Super Ks. I may be able to dig around and come up with some limbs for you if you need'em. Let me know. BTW- sooner or later, if we keep shooting them, every bow is gonna give it up.   GY

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Grant

I posted a wanted ad in the classifieds this morning. If you have one compatible limb or a complete set, I could be interested. I might even be interested in those reproductions.

I'll send you a PM

Simon

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
That is the beauty of a takedown.  If ya bust a limb on any one piece, ya pretty much got a nice paper weight.

With a takedown, ya just gotta replace a limb, or a set of limbs.

Offline 69RECURVE

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
There is no way I would even think of shooting any take down witout a matched set of limbs. Otherwise I think you are asking for trouble.

That's my two cents.

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
On the bright side, you can now make one of them limb tip $100 key chains that you see on the Bay

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I knew there was a silver lining somewhere in this event.  :)

S.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Simon I been shooting a set of mismatched green tip Grant gave me a couple years ago they were retillerd and shoot pretty well.We'll all keep an eye open for something bd

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks BD. I guess the operating word is «Patience». I'll eventually bump into something suitable both for my bow and my budget.

S.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Bide your time, keep your eyes open, watch the Bay

Don't just look for limbs.  Look for a crappy riser with limbs, rh or lh,  the limbs are interchangeable

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©