INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear’s 1945 “Moose Diary”  (Read 362 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear’s 1945 “Moose Diary”
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Fred Bear’s 1942 “Deer Hunting” was his first film.

Fred Bear’s 1945 “Moose Diary” was his second film.

However, neither of these two lost and all but forgotten history making films are on any of the videos or DVDs that are offered for sale today.

Well, after years of searching, recently I found one of the original 1945 “Moose Diary” 16mm films and had it converted to a DVD.

It is 18 minutes long and is of footage of Fred Bear and Knick Knickerbocker on their 1944 and 1945 hunts in Ontario, Canada. Although they take deer, grouse and duck in the film, the highlight is Fred’s world record Moose taken with a single arrow from his 70 pound Osage Grumley Deerslayer.  This is old time color footage with a narrator doing the voice over. They don’t make films like this one anymore.

“Moose Diary” will be shown at the Nebraska Traditional Archers (NTA) Rendezvous in Fremont, Nebraska, on Saturday evening, September 4, after the evening meal and the live auctions.

Some of Fred Bear’s personal hunting equipment and many other vintage traditional archery artifacts from the 1870s to the 1950s will be on display during the meal, auction and showing of the film.

The evening meal is pot luck so be sure to bring a dish, the NTA will furnish the meat. As always, there will be some great items on this year’s auctions, which are always a lot of fun.  

The NTA Rendezvous is two days, Saturday and Sunday September 4 & 5. Two great 3-D courses, novelties, camping and lots of camaraderie.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear’s 1945 “Moose Diary”
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Would you consider burning a few copies and circulating to the guys on this site?  Or sell them.  I would love to see that old footage.

Michael

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
What a great weekend, wish I could make a road tripfor that.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Wade

Ya need to post the video to YouTube so we can  all enjoy it.

Yeah, right    :deadhorse:
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Man.....I'd love to see that video......but Nebraska is just a bit out of my way!

It would be great if it could somehow get posted on the video forum (hint hint Terry).

Wade.....you are an amazing "Fred Stuff" finder.  My hat is off to you
Sir!     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Guys,

My interest in "Moose Diary" was to see the footage and learn more details about the events and equipment on those Canadian trips.

Although I spent over $250 in acquiring the footage and having it converted to DVD, I believe that it would be wrong for any person to want to make any money off of the footage, my self included.

I plan to show it free of charge at local, state and national events, if the organization wants it to be shown. Hopefully in some small way, the film may make attending these events more enjoyable for bowmen and may help attract of few more bowmen who are on the fence about attending. By showing the film after the auctions, it may also help get more bidders at the auctions of the club hosting the event. Helping raise money for traditional clubs is always important.

In addition to next weekend at the NTA Rendezvous, I will have the footage with me at all of the NTA, NBA, Compton and other events that I attend in the future so guys in other parts of the country will have a chance to see it.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Wade, I will be looking forward to seeing at next years Compton event. Really enjoyed your displays. They were one of the real highlights for me.

Thanks for sharing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the information; I am definitely looking forward to seeing it sometime.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©